Notices

New to here

Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to here

Hi,

I'm the spouse of a prescription drug addict. We have been married only a few months, and I am not sure if he will be alive much longer.

He has various serious physical ailments, and he's taken various different medications to deal with his issues. He went to detox prior to us getting married, and was doing well until we got back from our honeymoon.

We are currently enrolled in therapy, but he refuses to acknowledge that he needs to go through detox again to save his life.

I need help and support in making this transition in the next few months. I love him and I care about him, but there is nothing that I can do for our relationship and his life at this point.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

New York

Try Naranon. It's for people affected by another's addiction. It may help you.
I wish you well. Prayers sent your way.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

Try Naranon. It's for people affected by another's addiction. It may help you.
I wish you well. Prayers sent your way.
Thank you for the link, I really appreciate it. It looks like there are quite a few meetings in my area. I'm a little socially anxious about going to someplace where I don't know anyone. Do you have any tips for attending one of these meetings?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation.

Maybe you could get therapy, just for yourself, to help you through this. It might be a bit scary to go to NarAnon, but it could be helpful.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Know that when you walk in to that meeting, you are feeling just like everyone else who is there. That first time is very scary. Our life is not where we would have liked it to be, we are embarassed, we feel lonely, so very scared.

Know that you aren't alone anymore. These other people have lived through what you have, sometimes worse, sometimes not so bad. We now have others to share our experiences with. After the first meeting, we hopefully return. Or try another meeting. Give time time. You will soon know that you have strength in numbers.
I hope this can help. Can you get there today or tomorrow? Try to get a phone number or two so when you need to vent, someone can listen.
I wish you well,
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry for your situation.

Maybe you could get therapy, just for yourself, to help you through this. It might be a bit scary to go to NarAnon, but it could be helpful.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll ask ther marital therapist if she can see me alone.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Know that when you walk in to that meeting, you are feeling just like everyone else who is there. That first time is very scary. Our life is not where we would have liked it to be, we are embarassed, we feel lonely, so very scared.

Know that you aren't alone anymore. These other people have lived through what you have, sometimes worse, sometimes not so bad. We now have others to share our experiences with. After the first meeting, we hopefully return. Or try another meeting. Give time time. You will soon know that you have strength in numbers.
I hope this can help. Can you get there today or tomorrow? Try to get a phone number or two so when you need to vent, someone can listen.
I wish you well,
Sugar bear,

Thank you so much for the support and knowing that I'm not alone.

The earliest meeting that's close to my home and work is on Monday. I will try to attend the one then. Thank you again.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Go in with an open mind! Let us know how it went and check in to SR daily.
There is also a Friends and Family Forum if you scroll down on the first forum page!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go in with an open mind! Let us know how it went and check in to SR daily.
There is also a Friends and Family Forum if you scroll down on the first forum page!
Thanks for the info, I will check it out!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Loneywife

the link for the Family and Friends Forums is:
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 02-11-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Ditto what Sugarbear said .

What ever type of meeting we go to , AA,NA, Al alnon ect. Everyone feels scared anxious that first time. Just go in and you will be welcomed by people that know how you feel. . Big hugs to you.

And welcome to SR .

Good love, Inda
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support.