Notices

Question

Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

Ok guys, I am trying to go sober as I think drinking is driving me into this dark depression. I never really considered myself an alcoholic, I haven't had a beer in two weeks, I really had now physical withdrawl, maybe a little aggitation, but the stange thing is since I had my last beer I have been thinking about it dailiy. What gives? Anyone else have this issue? I started Wellbutrin to get me out of this gloom i've been in and it seems to be helping, except with this. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's the mental obsession of alcoholism that you're experiencing, which is different from the physical symptoms. The obsession will likely lessen in time.

Alcohol is a depressant, so you might begin to feel better as your drinking stops. It's good that you've talked to your dr about this.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think it's the mental obsession of alcoholism that you're experiencing, which is different from the physical symptoms. The obsession will likely lessen in time.

Alcohol is a depressant, so you might begin to feel better as your drinking stops. It's good that you've talked to your dr about this.
Unfortunately, I didn't tell him about the binge drinking, just told him I was depressed. I told him about it while back and he was concerned and said that I should really consider quitting or cutting my consumption back. I don't know. Is the constant thinking about it a sign of addiction or just a mental thing?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

For me I think about it during my "drinking times." I get the cravings. Some days are easier than others. I'm on day 8... I think the mental part is the habit of drinking...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi nepa,

Welcome! From what I know, it is a big sign of addiction. Those with normal drinking patterns could take it or leave it - they don't obsess about alcohol. When I got sober I began to realize how little "normal" people think about alcohol, and how little they drank when they did drink, and how it was no big deal to them if and when they next drank. That is something I will never experience or understand. Do yourself a big favor and stop now. Take care.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Big Book On Line Big Book online

Read The Doctor's Opinion here:
Big Book On Line

Dee, help me put the "it's from the Alcoholics Anonymous 1st edition" here

listen to xa-speakers.com to some speakers

You can stay stopped! You may want to try AVRT or SMART programs.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Or AA
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There was once a time that I didn't have those mental obsessions either. But after you cross the line, they only get worse. With time, they do decrease dramatically. I've been sober 7 months and i thank God I rarely have to deal with those thoughts anymore. It will get better if you stop drinking.