Notices

Scientists Unveil a Bold New Definition of Addiction

Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I haven't had a chance to read this all the way through yet. Very interesting.

The official diagnosis for addiction is getting a major makeover—promising major changes for the addiction community and healthcare professionals alike. Here's what you need to know.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks P.D.

Most of the addiction news is from 2006 I believe ...
Bold, new definition eh? You mean we aren't going to call a rose a rose any more.

I've been watching "century of the self" on YouTube, it's a 4 episode BBC documentary that should scare the pants off anyone who thinks they know what's up. You will see how well "psychiatry" has done in the past.
I do not mean to hi-jack your thread, sorry.

Wishing everyone the best in their recovery.

Bob R.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

In my opinion, this is new information for the DSM V. The two books the author has had published were in 2010 and 2006, as cited. This magazine blurb needs to be expanded upon. I'm sure it will be in her new book. Again, this is the opinion of the writer.

Relevant information and something to think about.

Thanks for sharing this, PD!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Well.. I think it's better than what we've had so far in there. I find it interesting that the older articles about the 'big changes' still included that the term addiction won over 'dependence', but the latest update is that dependence wins out over addiction under a larger classification of Substance Use Disorders.

Very interesting, thank you for the link. I'd like to take a look at the diagnostic criteria of the different 'levels' mentioned..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

A bit more digging.. here's the proposed revision for alcohol issues:

Alcohol Use Disorder

A. A maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by 2 (or more) of the following, occurring within a 12-month period:

recurrent substance use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home (e.g., repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions, or expulsions from school; neglect of children or household)
recurrent substance use in situations in which it is physically hazardous (e.g., driving an automobile or operating a machine when impaired by substance use)
continued substance use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the substance (e.g., arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication, physical fights)
tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
a. a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or desired effect

b. markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance
(Note: Tolerance is not counted for those taking medications under medical supervision such as analgesics, antidepressants, ant-anxiety medications or beta-blockers.)

withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:
a. the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance (refer to Criteria A and B of the criteria sets for Withdrawal from the specific substances)

b. the same (or a closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms
(Note: Withdrawal is not counted for those taking medications under medical supervision such as analgesics, antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications or beta-blockers.)

the substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended
there is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use
a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover from its effects
important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use
the substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance.
Craving or a strong desire or urge to use a specific substance.

Severity specifiers:

Moderate: 2-3 criteria positive

Severe: 4 or more criteria positive

Specify if:

With Physiological Dependence: evidence of tolerance or withdrawal (i.e., either Item 4 or 5 is present)

Without Physiological Dependence: no evidence of tolerance or withdrawal (i.e., neither Item 4 nor 5 is present)

Course specifiers (see text for definitions):

Early Full Remission

Early Partial Remission

Sustained Full Remission

Sustained Partial Remission

On Agonist Therapy

In a Controlled Environment

and the rest: Substance-Related Disorders | APA DSM-5

(from dsm5.org)
Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

addiction and dependence sound better than abuse. I had no physical detox. I've had (mental) withdrawal, replaced with taking a good and honest look at my self.

I love psychology!

Thanks for expanding, flutter!