Notices

Not having cravings - Day 40

Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Not having cravings - Day 40

Day 40 today. I hope this is good. I'm not having cravings. Can't say I've had any really. The day before I quit I drank so much I was in bed most of the next day, totally sick. The days after that I was exhausted! Some of you might remember, I had to shut the door to my office and slept on the floor!

Since then I've struggled with some friendships, some feelings, some relationships. I've been to a few AA mtgs, met a few friends there. Also attended my book club and met a girlfriend there (drinker it seems but very happy to do other things).

I'm a little worried, because eventually a craving has to hit, right? I'm trying to be prepared for it. But it's hard. Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Lost3000, we are all different in our reactions to new-found sobriety. Your freedom from constant cravings could be a mixed blessing though. Someday you might feel that giving up the drink is no big deal, that you can do it any time you want to. But be very careful, that conclusion is fraught with hazard. Treasure and value that gift you have, not experiencing those teeth grinding cravings. You are fortunate, don't jeopardize it.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah - we're all different

You may never experience a physical craving - but you probably will find yourself thinking (or even obsessing) over drinking again, or rationalising that one won't be that bad etc

It's the nature of the thing.

D
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Lost3000, we are all different in our reactions to new-found sobriety. Your freedom from constant cravings could be a mixed blessing though. Someday you might feel that giving up the drink is no big deal, that you can do it any time you want to. But be very careful, that conclusion is fraught with hazard. Treasure and value that gift you have, not experiencing those teeth grinding cravings. You are fortunate, don't jeopardize it.
You know, like most of us, I've done TONS of reading. I've also read the threads of long-time sober folks who've slipped. I asked them, what happened? Because selfishly, I don't want the same thing to happen to me.

I realize that is could be the main reason why people slip - because they think that they are "cured" or can manage. So yes, that thought is constantly in the back of my mind.

I wonder if I just didn't drink myself to the point that it would make it extremely difficult. Or maybe it's because this time around (this is my 2nd and final attempt!) I have no delusions to drink again. The first time, I decided I'd be ok to drink on my upcoming vacation and then I would miraculously come back sober. This time I'm done, no drinking, ever.

I honestly don't want it this time. I'm having more of a hard time going through the changes but I'm hanging in there because this is the life I want. I can see glimmers of the life I'll have without booze. And I like it.

Anyway, I guess there's nothing for me to do but just keep on trying and doing what I'm doing. I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop and maybe it just won't come at all.

Thanks for your post.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulations on the 40 days, fantastic. I'm 1 year 7 months sober tomorrow, 5 months off carck day after. I never had any widthdrawls, from either, but I have had urges, and I just "suffer through" them because I know I'm better off not using. I happy to hear its almost painless for you and I am prayin that you dont use if a craving hits. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah - we're all different

You may never experience a physical craving - but you probably will find yourself thinking (or even obsessing) over drinking again, or rationalising that one won't be that bad etc

It's the nature of the thing.

D
oh I'm obsessing LOL, just not with drinking again, just with the overall issue of alcohol. My friends, my social life, work, etc.

I've got to have ways to remember the past, so I don't talk myself into what you mention. My journals are pretty bad, I mean just hard to read - maybe I should keep those on hand.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Congratulations on the 40 days, fantastic. I'm 1 year 7 months sober tomorrow, 5 months off carck day after. I never had any widthdrawls, from either, but I have had urges, and I just "suffer through" them because I know I'm better off not using. I happy to hear its almost painless for you and I am prayin that you dont use if a craving hits. Good luck.
The pain I'm experience is mainly mental, definitely not physical. I think it's worse somehow, with my brain screwing with me.