Notices

1st try...day 2

Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st try...day 2

hi all, so i found this board months ago and have checked in since. so this is the 1st time trying to give it up. i've been drinking more & more over the last 3 years, probably haven't gone a day w/o drinking in that time...i built up to drinking a 1.75 liter in 4 days. i'm not one who goes out & does things i regret. i'm a loner. i just stay home, start drinking mid afternoon & maintain a state of comfortably numb til i go to bed. i think depression, boredom & loneliness are the big reasons i drink. just makes the day go by. believe me i know i need to get out & do stuff, i realize i isolate.

i've grown tired of it. i think about what it's doing to my body everyday. i don't wake up feeling really hungover, but getting a jittery and anxious feeling at times that i don't like. i realize it is affecting my mind, i've had to pay a good amount of money on things i've missed or neglected to report in my job. i'm tired of always having to buy it, i'd hit every liquor store in town so they wouldn't see me every 3-4 days. i've had lasting luck w/ weight loss & quitting smoking in the past. hope since i'm ready to do this i'll have the same luck. yeah, i know someone posted in another post of mine that this isn't like those.

so far not feeling bad...yet, waiting for it to hit me though. how long does that take? didn't sleep good, but that's nothing new.

not sure about AA. i think the part of that i would like is a sponsor...just someone to talk too.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome and enjoy your sober journey. Trying AA is a start, at least you may meet some new sober people to do sober things with. Meet people who understand what you are going through!

Go to a few meetings, listen to xa-speakers.com, just do things differently than what you've been doing! You aren't alone anymore!!

Best wishes,
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I did the different liquor stores too...I see a lot of people here did that...And they still all knew me by name. Only advice I can give you on detoxing is...Get honest with a doctor about how much you drink and what you want to do. It can be dangerous to play around with. It's funny that a sponsor is the part of AA that you like...I've seen too many people not try AA because they had to get a sponsor...Go figure. I like the program of AA...I had to stop. Did what I had to do. I heard once that alcoholics were the only people that cured lonliness with isolation....And that hit me like a brick. I have more friends now than I've ever had...Real friends...All fellow non drinking alkies...I'd say going to a meeting is worth a try. There is a whole new life out there without alcohol.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I isolate myself too.

I am thinking about AA to make friends or a sponsor. Someone safe to be honest with on the journey. I am glad I have SR for that right now.

I am on day 3. Today I feel very tired and edgy. I was not drinking terribly heavily but every night for a couple of months. It had escalated over time after several sober months last year.

Last time, I had alot of edginess and anxiety, but I was in the middle of a frightening health crisis. So that was alot of it. Hard ot say what was related to quitting the drinking or the anxiety over my health. I am going ot guess it is different for everyone. Hard to tell you what to expect.

Last time, I recall after just a few or maybe a week or so, of restless and sweaty nights, i began to sleep and feel really well. better than I had in years. So hang in there. Last night was restless fo rme and I am really tired and anxious today.

rochele