Notices

Has anyone read 7 weeks to sobriety?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone read 7 weeks to sobriety?

Just wondered if anyone had followed this. I bought it as wanted some ideas about nutrition and was very interested in her take on hypoglycemia and alcohol. I have been taking a multi vit, b complex and now vit c and gla but does anyone take the other vits? there are loads in the book that are recommended. did it work? thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't. But as the title says, I don't believe there is a 7 day to sobriety. It depends actually. There is no exact time.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've read that book and really liked it. It made a lot of sense to me and helped to explain why some people who have been sober for a long time still have difficulty not wanting to drink and seeming like "dry drunks." I have also struggled with depression and anxiety and knew that supplements worked wonders to ease those conditions.

I have taken the tyrosine in early stages of sobriety (I am now on day 5 of a new attempt). Also take melatonin and GABA to help me sleep. I have personally found that supplementation plus healthy meals really keeps the cravings at bay.

And when I experience a craving, I take Glutamine. Works really well. But haven't needed it much this time, because I am so focused on making sure I am putting good foods into my body.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm an avid vitamin person, but I am also aware that the majority of the research doesn't really show any correlation between taking supplements and better health. So why take it - so long as they are water soluble vitamins, there is very little downside, and at least perceptively (be that psychosomatic) I feel great. Here is what I take:

B12; B-150; Omega 3; Flaxseed; Vitamin C, Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc, Glucosomine, Vitamin D. Recently discontinued: Folic Acid

A lot of what I take is driven by my running/cycling...but it seems to work.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. I know what you mean Mental loop-I figure that if it isn't doing any harm and it may do some good then I might as well take them.

Am hoping the gla epo will help with my mood swings lilac, albeit no where near as bad as they used to be
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Am hoping the gla epo will help with my mood swings lilac, albeit no where near as bad as they used to be
I have had good luck with GLA, but even more luck with a high-quality fish oil for controlling mood issues. I've even had a doctor tell me to take fish oil in addition to (my now discontinued) antidepressants.

I also take a good multivitamin, b-complex, C, GLA, fish oil, tyrosine when my energy is flagging, glutamine for occasional cravings, 5-HTP/GABA/Melatonin at night and milk thistle (to repair liver damage).
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Like has been said - Glutamine for cravings. Took it for almost a year.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post...I am very much into natural supplements & will check it out
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i saw this book at barnes and noble i read it for awhile and i really liked it.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have it and read it cover to cover.

She lost her son to addiction, and it resulted in her exhaustive research.

I tried to follow some of the things she suggested, but it was time consuming, and apparently going to cost almost as much as drinking....(just kidding, not counting attorneys, rehab, car crashes, lost work, etc., etc.)

I do eat pretty good, and have took supplements for the past 30 years.

She does cover a lot about food and other allergies being a root cause of addiction, and suggests intensive testing.

All in all, eventually I packed it all away, this well over a decade ago.

It may have actual merit, but I never went all the way with it.

Rex
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rexfiles View Post
I have it and read it cover to cover.

She lost her son to addiction, and it resulted in her exhaustive research.

I tried to follow some of the things she suggested, but it was time consuming, and apparently going to cost almost as much as drinking....(just kidding, not counting attorneys, rehab, car crashes, lost work, etc., etc.)

I do eat pretty good, and have took supplements for the past 30 years.

She does cover a lot about food and other allergies being a root cause of addiction, and suggests intensive testing.

All in all, eventually I packed it all away, this well over a decade ago.

It may have actual merit, but I never went all the way with it.

Rex
HI Rex
I do agree with you. I found the first part of the book very interesting and have upped my vits intake slightly. However, to follow the whole course seemed overwhelming taking up to 60 tablets a day, not to mention expensive!! I have also put the book away now although do refer to it if I need info on a specific vitamin

Thanks everyone