Notices

Special Olympics GOLD!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Special Olympics GOLD!

Hey all,

Some of you know that my youngest son has autism. Definitely many challenges there that I won't go into. But recently, he has been learning how to ski, and today at Special Olympics, he took the GOLD medal for the cross country ski race. I am about to burst with pride. I never in a million years thought that he would be able to grasp the whole concept of skiing (he is 13 but has the mentality of a 2 year old) but he ACED it today. So very proud of his accomplishments.

Even better, I am able to enjoy his victory as a SOBER mom. I wasn't able to be there to see him win today due to prior commitments, but will be going to both of his competitions tomorrow. I would NEVER, EVER have been able to do that if I was still drinking. Sobriety has so, so many benefits that I never even dared to think of when I was active in alcoholism, but today was just another example of how sweet life is as a sober wife, mother, and human being.

Just wanted to share that. Day 45 and counting. Life is good.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats fantastic desertsong!
Congratulations to your son and to you

D
Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Made my day. Good stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((desertsong))) - awesome day for both of you!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Desertsong thats wonderful!!! You must be smiling from ear to ear right now! congrats on day 45 and congrats to your son for taking the GOLD!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Awesome! My favorite quote is from Eunice Kennedy Shriver, which serves as the special Olympics athlete oath: "Let me win; but if I cannot win, I will be brave in the attempt."

I think that quote fits many of us!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Awesome! My favorite quote is from Eunice Kennedy Shriver, which serves as the special Olympics athlete oath: "Let me win; but if I cannot win, I will be brave in the attempt."

I think that quote fits many of us!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am proud of both of you. Well done! Keep rocking your sober self, DesertSong.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks DS for such a great update. Congrats to you on being able to fully participate in LIFE!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats all around DS, to you and your son. I can feel the joy and pride in your post! That is truly awesome!!

God bless.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The beauty of sobriety right there - thank you for sharing that with us
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

AWWWWWW man how cool is that .
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is so cool, DS!!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's absolutely wonderful - So thrilled for both of you!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OMG!!!! That is sooooo great! How did you ever even think of trying this? My son is autistic as well. About the same level as yours. Our biggest accomplishment is pooping on the potty lol!! Please let me know how you got into this!!

Good for you DS! I know exactly how you feel not dreaming something is possible for these kids and being so pleasantly surprised! Is he happy? My son makes a happy noise when really excited. I'm sure you know his way of expressing emotions. Oh, I'm just so excited for you both!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hey Heathersweeds! I remember you talking about your son too. We have so much in common. Every little thing they do is a huge accomplishment, isn't it? (we're still working on the potty thing too!)

His school gets them into all of these things. They do therapeutic horseback riding, skiing, and a bunch of other stuff as part of their curriculum at school. It's awesome living in Wyoming where the special ed budget isn't as strapped as it is in other states. There is an organization here that does outdoor sports for kids with special needs too, and we enrolled him as soon as we heard about it. I'm training to be a therapeutic riding instructor too, and the ranch where we do the lessons also gives lessons to his class at school. I feel so blessed to live in a place where people truly understand what these special people need and are happy to provide it. We moved here from southern California, where soooo many people need services that there isn't enough to go around. Living in Wyoming year round is challenging (we have summer here for about two days ) but interestingly enough, the folks here "get" it. Ironically, we also have one of the highest alcoholism rates in the country (makes sense in some ways ... ) but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Drinking here is a recreational sport, especially if you don't do the "great outdoors" stuff ....
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

WOW!! You are really blessed DS!!! I've neglected Jeremie for most of his life due to my drinking. So now you have inspired me to start looking around (New Jersey) my area for these activities. Thank you so much! He goes to a special school wich is awesome and they do send paperwork home for art classes, baseball, and such but I never dreamed of entering him because of his mental level. NOW I AM!!! You have really lit a fire under my butt! I can't thank you enough and keep us posted!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Sweet! So happy for you and your child. You made me cry. But in a good way.

Please feel free any time to PM me about stuff for our kids. Always happy to help and to share. Interestingly, these beautiful kids show us what is achievable in ourselves. What an amazing blessing. Never say NEVER!!!! *hugs*
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

That is AWESOME! I have 2 cousins with autism, the younger one of which is still being figured out so to speak. They know he has it but they're still determining his level of functioning. (sorry if that is the incorrect way to say it, i am not sure!)

But the older boy is really something else, he is a very smart boy.

Glad to hear your son took gold!