Notices

Dealing with anxiety in early sobriety

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with anxiety in early sobriety

Yesterday, day 3, was tough for me. I had trouble focusing and kept feeling anxiety welling up in me. A couple of times I felt like I was about to have a panic attack - tightness in the chest, quickened breathing, racing thoughts

I didn't get much work done yesterday (and my inability to work is behind some of the anxiety, some of it is the type of work itself).

I went to the gym twice. Because I've gone 3 weeks with very little exercise, I had a tough time with just 40 minutes of elliptical/walking on the treadmill. But it was the only thing I knew to do (besides drink, which is out of the question) to relieve the anxiety.

I also have insomnia. Last night I slept a bit better, and I feel a little less groggy this morning.

Anxiety has driven me to going back to the bottle more times than I can count. That's not an option anymore (ultimately, I know alcohol will make any anxiety far worse it just puts off having to deal with it). What do you all do to deal with anxiety or fend off panic attacks especially when you were in early sobriety?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would go for a quick brisk walk, usually outside, by myself and I also tried to practice some mediation and deep breathing. It doesn't have to be full legs and arms crossed mediation just a quick 5 minutes away from all the noise and hustle to calm ones self. Give yourself some time and things should start to even out a little, if not please don't hesitate to check in with your doctor.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to extra AA meetings, double up on my prayers and talk to my sponsor. I suffered from anxiety attacks before and during early sobriety, you will get through it as many others have.
My hour at a meeting is the best hour of the day.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Bob R
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

We've numbed our entire body for a long time. We feel the anxiety as our nerves heal. I know I had anxiety prior to drinking, but after I stopped, it was worse. It is a non-issue after 8 months of sobriety with working a program of recovery.

Everyone is different.