Notices

Finding motivation

Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding motivation

How long should it take to start gaining momentum for motivation. I am on day 17 and I do feel better and things are improving but my motivation is still in the dumps.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think no time limit its all internal, great on the days
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Motivation to do what?

It's still early. If you are motivated to stay sober and work on you recovery then nothing else, in my mind, matters
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post
How long should it take to start gaining momentum for motivation. I am on day 17 and I do feel better and things are improving but my motivation is still in the dumps.
I think the fact you are into day 17 shows you are motivated. Each day you add to that number, is another day your body, mind, and soul is repairing days, weeks, months, and years of damage.

I am only on day 4 myself, but I understand these effects are not as quick as drinking alcohol. Alcohol affects you within minutes, but this will take much more time. Think about how you felt waking up today, versus how you felt waking up the day after drinking, and then ask yourself if there is any change or momentum.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Motivation to do what?

It's still early. If you are motivated to stay sober and work on you recovery then nothing else, in my mind, matters
Putting together a business plan for a venture that was only about 45% completed and put on hold when drunk all the time. I am totally focused on staying sober and getting all of that under control first and foremost, so thats good.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loudog430 View Post
I think the fact you are into day 17 shows you are motivated. Each day you add to that number, is another day your body, mind, and soul is repairing days, weeks, months, and years of damage.

I am only on day 4 myself, but I understand these effects are not as quick as drinking alcohol. Alcohol affects you within minutes, but this will take much more time. Think about how you felt waking up today, versus how you felt waking up the day after drinking, and then ask yourself if there is any change or momentum.
Yes I am and thank you, I guess its more about channeling that motivation to other things but I know its still early. I think I will still focus on staying sober and revisit my project when I feel its right.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post

i wish i could offer you a good answer, but all I can do is offer understanding. I, too, lack motivation. No matter how much I try in my mind to get up and do things, it just doesn't seem to happen. Like I'm watching my life pass by without any interest. I'm glad to be clean and glad to be hanging in there, but still hoping for more in the future.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while to find energy and momentum and motivation.

I'd been basically destroying my mind and body for years - I think it takes a little while for that damage to be repaired.

I would have been hard pressed to do anything like a business plan at 17 days, if I'm honest?

D
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have found that balance is what motivates me each day. I tend to overdo or not do at all, so keeping things balanced and flowing keeps me going.

Congratulations on your 17 days.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, I hear you about the balance but I'll agree with Dee, the business plan is a bit too much to bite off right now. I'll focus on staying sober, eating healthy and other stuff right now.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

MustStop

Im on day 9. Being drunk I never had time and energy to do even the smallest thing.
So now so early in sobriety I already ordered new study desk and sofa. I like to read and translate, so bigger desk is a must have for me. In such a short time I did already 2 major improvements.
Pick a task for yourself, motivation will come naturally.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

It all takes time and very's . Just do a little of something new or you like and try to balance though. Your early in sobriety take your time, your body has been thru alot. It doesnt change in a couple weeks.

Keep coming and posting.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
MustStop

Im on day 9. Being drunk I never had time and energy to do even the smallest thing.
So now so early in sobriety I already ordered new study desk and sofa. I like to read and translate, so bigger desk is a must have for me. In such a short time I did already 2 major improvements.
Pick a task for yourself, motivation will come naturally.
HF, I did something quite similar when I was around day 9 myself, went down to Ikea and bought some new tables and things to change up the look of the place. Still need a new rug! Maybe I'll do that next and think of some other things I'll buy. Its also quite therapeutic putting all the stuff together and figuring out where it looks best
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

MustStop

Im looking now for 2 bedside tables to finish my bedroom. I think its very important to improve the environment we live in.
I completely changed my diet. I don't know why but I can't eat ready meals and junk.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

MustStop

Im looking now for 2 bedside tables to finish my bedroom. I think its very important to improve the environment we live in.
I completely changed my diet. I don't know why but I can't eat ready meals and junk.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Muststop....awesome job on 17 days! I'm just wrapping up day 14 and am also dealing with the motivation thing. I'm finding that if I keep it manageable, it's been getting a little easier each day, kind of what you're already doing. Yesterday, mounted some hanging hooks for the kids jackets....today, cleaned and organized my desk (lots o' stuff I blew off during the last 60 days or so). I'm just trying to keep it simple and get a little something positive done each day....and ABOVE ALL not drink! I know I'm not ready for a huge project yet....I'll stick to the small stuff for now....hope this helps
Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How did I find motivation??...Let me count the ways.
Lost every job I've ever had due to alcohol.
Lost a wife of seventeen years.
Lost friends that cared about me and gained ones that didn't.
Ruined every relationship I had before and after marriage.
Almost lost all contact with my family.
Lost countless personal items.
Wasted money like it was trash.
Beat myself badly...Mentally, Physically and Spiritually.
Had a Doctor tell me my liver was enlarged...He'd seen worse.
Had another Doctor tell me if I kept going like I was going...I would be dead.

I didn't need much more motivation than that. Found a program and threw myself into beating this horrific problem I had. I worked at it as hard as I drank and I have stopped drinking. And I wake up every morning motivated to keep it that way.