Notices

Just starting to find a new beginning....

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just starting to find a new beginning....

Where to start.........I know most alcoholics say that they had to hit "rock bottom" before committing to sobriety. I am choosing to change before this , simply because I feel it is time to. I can no longer deny that there is a problem. It saddens me and also makes me sick to my stomach to think of all the people that I have hurt on my self destructive road. Blaming circumstances of my life instead of facing them. I have always prided myself on being honest ( sometimes brutally) to everyone and yet I continued to lie to myself.
I suppose to the "outside" world I seem to be put together well......Happily married to a GREAT guy, 5 healthy, beautiful children , and great friends and family. But I have been enabling myself....and it ends NOW !
PLEASE if anyone has suggestions, Thank You SO much !
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I chose to stop drinking before I hit rock bottom as well, I have seen too many people hit rock bottom and I did not want to put myself or my family through that. Ever. I am now 40 days sober. As far as suggestions go, here are a few that helped me:

Stay busy busy busy! If you keep your hands and mind busy, they won't want a drink. Im sure your kids can help you stay busy.

Get sober with a friend or partner, because there is strength in numbers, and if you don't have anyone in your offline life who wants to try it, there are hundreds on this site that will volunteer.

My last one is of course AA, because it has helped me greatly, but some people prefer other methods. But find a method that works for you.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply ! I am very lucky to have a hubby who doesn't drink in fact he quit cold turkey 4 years ago. I must stress that I only drink when I'm at work (bartender) and that is 2 evenings a week. Out of respect for my hubby we haven't even had alcohol in our home in years. I guess I would classify myself as a "social" drinker. It is obvious that I need to quit my job until I feel I am strong enough to be around alcohol and not be tempted. But seeing other people around me and in family ( both my parents and an uncle) struggle with this I would like to quit now before it spirals out of control and does carry into my home life.
I am still thinking about AA , I am typically a very open person but we all have our insecurities. Thank You again so much for all of your suggestions.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are lucky to recognize that you need to stop drinking, before things get worse. And, good for you for knowing that a job as a bar-tender will not work, at least for awhile.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also quit drinking before hitting a bottom. I have a liver disease and my doctor insisted upon it. I used to worry all the time that something would happen, like a DUI, and my secret would be out but now I don't have to worry anymore. If you try to pay attention to all the small positive changes in you and your life when you stay sober, it's very inspiring. And reading and posting in the forums is very helpful. Good luck to you! 37 days for me, yay!!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a 'bottom' is the point when we decide we can't live that way anymore - it needed be some catastrophic event.

I'm glad you're choosing now rather than later too jjc81

Welcome to SR

D
Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by jjc81 View Post
Thank you for your reply ! I am very lucky to have a hubby who doesn't drink in fact he quit cold turkey 4 years ago. I must stress that I only drink when I'm at work (bartender) and that is 2 evenings a week. Out of respect for my hubby we haven't even had alcohol in our home in years. I guess I would classify myself as a "social" drinker. It is obvious that I need to quit my job until I feel I am strong enough to be around alcohol and not be tempted. But seeing other people around me and in family ( both my parents and an uncle) struggle with this I would like to quit now before it spirals out of control and does carry into my home life.
I am still thinking about AA , I am typically a very open person but we all have our insecurities. Thank You again so much for all of your suggestions.
The best motivation of all will be your kids. When you feel like you want to have a drink just think about them. do activities with them. I dont have children of my own but I do have 3 adorable nieces that i "Borrow" for arts and crafts and baking cookies, etc. (then i return them to their parents when they're good and hyper, LOL!)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Your making a choice to really live, all that past stuff will be okay.

Welcome
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Rock bottom or not, stopping is the best thing to do. It's good to here the people important to you come first.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Smart decision..... I wonder how many people out there having a "good time" would quit if they could see where alcohol would take them. I'm sure you've seen your share of it, too.

I like to think I'm choosing to be the "best I can be" by staying sober. It's a good feeling! Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Smart decision..... I wonder how many people out there having a "good time" would quit if they could see where alcohol would take them. I'm sure you've seen your share of it, too.

I like to think I'm choosing to be the "best I can be" by staying sober. It's a good feeling! Welcome to the forum!
yeah, i mean im only 23 years old and partying just isn't fun for me anymore. It was fun years ago when it was illegal, but after a few years of terrible hangovers and not remember what i did the night before I realized i wasnt having fun, i was shortening my life!