Has anyone read?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Has anyone read?

Our couples counselor suggested i read Get Your Loved One Sober. I just picked it up at the library and started reading it yesterday...

I was just wondering if anyone else has, and if so, what you thought or what your experience was with practicing it?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I first found out about my BF relapse, I spent a lot of time looking at books. I remember the one you are asking about. It was really designed for alcoholics I think, but the principles apply to drug addiction too. The name of the process is called CRAFT - but I forget the long version... ooops.

The book I think is really an alternative approach. (If your following the 12 steps Im not saying it fully contrasts with that.... but I think some of it does)
Because well obviously it says a person can help the addict, and it talks a lot about behavior modification, non-confrontational methods, rewards, recognition, and extinction ....also there is an ending to the disease.

I will bravely say I agreed with a lot of what it said.

Anyway, I read it ... rather quickly ... as I said... I read a lot ... so had to do it fast ! haha

You might post about it on the secular forum and see if you get more feedback.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was looking at the Secular forum page.... I think it falls within maybe the SMART recovery program...not positive though.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NIH / NIAAA have a publication that you can read online regarding this practicing you can do a search for the community reinforcement and look for the link with nih.gov which is more for a therapist approach - but do a related search for CRAFT and it will include the family approach to it.

The train of thought is about rewarding sobriety instead of focusing so much on punishments for using. This is to make sobriety more attractive to the user. Like engaging and doing thing with the user when they are sober, but distancing or withdrawing when they are using.

My mother pretty much used this method when I was using as a young adult - I feel it was effective. I craved the attention of my mother. My train of thought shifted some as I realized to be with her I had to be sober. It also help to keep the confrontations down between us. I still tried to engage her while i was using - but she held her ground.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Gorrie))

Community reinforcement and family training = Craft

Thanks for that - now I remember!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have not read that one . . might have to check it out!

My therapist recommended "Getting the love you want" it is based on IMAGO therapy which basically says that we look for in relationships whatever is mirrored from our main caretakers as children. I feel that it is dead on and is an awesome read for anyone really!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
My therapist recommended "Getting the love you want" it is based on IMAGO therapy which basically says that we look for in relationships whatever is mirrored from our main caretakers as children. I feel that it is dead on and is an awesome read for anyone really!
Thank you! I looked it up and have a copy coming in on hold at the library...i'm looking forward to reading it.