Notices

Is AA the only support for someone wanting to stay sober

Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is AA the only support for someone wanting to stay sober

I'm in an outpatient rehab program to help with the alcohol which my psychiatrist put me in. The rehab program forces you to go to AA meetings. I've been to a few but I only found one that I was even comfortable with. That meeting only meets on Monday nights which is one of the nights of the rehab. It appears that I live in an area that only supports AA. I also suffer form Major Depressive Disorder. The area that I live in doesn't have any support groups for dual diagnosis. (I've checked online).

I've got 3 more weeks of the intensive rehab, which is 4 nights a week. Then I will have 6-12 more weeks of outpatient care. I'm on an AD from the Dr but it will take several weeks for it to take effect. Just started it about 12 days ago and the dr put me at the lowest possible dose.

I've been sober 3 weeks and have no desire for a drink. I'm just getting very discouraged with the rehab as it only seems to deal with the addiction. I drank because I was depressed. The other people in the rehab just can't seem to relate to me.

Any suggestions or insight to keep me focused and that will help ease the depression?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This website provides forums discussing alternatives to AA. Perhaps some of the moderators can help you find these. I'm not sure where you live but in the larger metropolitan areas there are often some AA alternatives. I have encountered persons with dual diagnosis in AA who have profited from that program. If your rehab administrators will not help you find alternatives to AA then you can use the internet and the various links available on this SR website.
Alcohol is, of course, a depressant and thus most inadvisable as a method for dealing with depression. I am not a doctor but I would think that it would interfere with any medication prescribed for depression.
You appear to be in the very early stages of recovery. Depression is quite common then Good luck.

W.