Notices

No money, more problems

Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No money, more problems

1. Never really drank. Had a few "party's" in high school. Then, I went to college.

2. Had a great college life, met a great girl. Had the ring for her (3ct's, because pop's told me to lock her up), then I got dumped my Junior year. 3 years after we started our relationship.

3. Graduated from college in May of 09' with a degree in Communication Studies.

4. Couldn't find a job and had to move back in with my parents.

5. Moving back in was almost 2 years ago and still haven't found solid employment. Just got a few jobs with one of my best friends working construction. If I weren't a diabetic, it wouldn't matter, would have been able to start my life with what I made, but I have to either live with mom's or pop's to get insurance coverage (over 300 a month just to keep myself alive.) Over 900 if I didn't move back in with either of them and had my own insurance coverage.

6. Now, if I want to have a good time I've got to turn to my old friends. My old friends like bars.

7. I'm able to go out with them and have a drink, my once rich dad has lost his job. So, to be social I go out with them and have dinner and 1 beer.

8. When I come home all I want to do is forget about how worthless I am, because my friends now talk about how bad their jobs are.

9. The only comfort I have is a 750ml of Canadian Mist and honestly the 11.50 it costs is a small cost. Because, if I didn't have it I'd do something drastic.

Cliff notes: I had a great job that paid for my college, graduated with a 3.0, even after a 1.7. My Freshman year when I had a Diabetic Keto-Acidosis. Or, DKA. Had a girl I loved, my first love, and a 3ct. ring for her as well.

I've applied to over 1,500 jobs, most of them paid less than what I made in high school before I earned my degree (which cost over 100k). Still unemployed.

After not finding anything for almost 3 years I'm now finding comfort in Canadian Mist. Never thought I'd resort to this, but it's the only thing that makes me function. I drink a 750ml every other night. So, 1 morning I am too hungover to be functional, the next morning my mind is clear and never have found any sort of encouragement to make me stop drinking that next night.

I am just at at a loss and in a downward spiral. I've posted on here before, but my situation has just become unacceptable in the last few weeks.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And, during this time, I've tried to be sober and made it 3 months. In that time I didn't find a woman that made me want to change my life, nor find new friends. Not to mention, a job.

I think the only out I have is to move far, far, away, but it's hard to find a job somewhere that you don't live. Especially, with no savings.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post
And, during this time, I've tried to be sober and made it 3 months. In that time I didn't find a woman that made me want to change my life...
As a recovering alcoholic I told a story much like yours (I also have a degree in communications and had a tough time finding work in the early '90s).

I got so mad because all others heard from me was "Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink."

I wonder why you think you're entitled to a girlfriend that is good enough you'll want to change your life for? It doesn't sound like you value yourself all that much.

I'm not trying to be mean, just asking.

There are some great answers on this forum and other places too.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Just curious how the drinking is affecting the Diabetes. Usually, that doesn't mix well. Get out and get some exercise. Join some clubs (non-drinking affiliated). Volunteer for anything that interests you. A job and or girls will come with time. Jobs you have to pursue. Sometimes it is best to just let the girl thing happen. Most of the time things will start to improve including your self worth when you get out of yourself and start helping others. Find projects, hobbies, interests....find a life. Life is not all about jobs or girls. Keep putting one foot in front of another, make some goals pursue them and things will improve.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The alcohol is doing far more harm than good my friend. Keep on that schedule and its going to turn into a bottle a day, a booze soaked foggy complacent mind and you will stop looking for work all together most likely.

Life is full of ups and downs and be assured, a big up is on the way..but don't let it pass you by because of the excessive drinking, because it will. Also, no girl is going to want to be with a heavy drinker and you'll just end up hiding it from her and eventually get caught and most likely end up in the singles pool again.

I'd stay away from the booze, clear your mind. Possibly go back to school for something else and focus on loving yourself right now and getting things back on track. Don't even bother with a female right now. You'll know when the time is right.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post
I think the only out I have is to move far, far, away...
This seems to be a common idea/plan for those that are unhappy with their lives, for whatever the reason. But, there is a major flaw with this "fix" to one's "unhappy life", when you get their, YOU will be there.

I hope my message is lost in the sarcastic irony.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Just curious how the drinking is affecting the Diabetes. Usually, that doesn't mix well. Get out and get some exercise. Join some clubs (non-drinking affiliated). Volunteer for anything that interests you. A job and or girls will come with time. Jobs you have to pursue. Sometimes it is best to just let the girl thing happen. Most of the time things will start to improve including your self worth when you get out of yourself and start helping others. Find projects, hobbies, interests....find a life. Life is not all about jobs or girls. Keep putting one foot in front of another, make some goals pursue them and things will improve.
Short term, I guess alcohol doesn't affect my diabetes much. Alcohol actually lowers blood sugar, so the more I eat during the day will be offset with the more I drink at night. Long term is what I've been worried about.

I've volunteered for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) ever since I was diagnosed 12+ years ago, and continue to have more of their events on my schedule.

Re:Excercise. When I was at WVU we had a great student gym (Student Rec Center | SRC Home) went there pretty much every day. But, as an unemployed guy in a high income area I just can't afford the 70-90 a month that most gyms here want to charge, not to mention they usually expect at least a 1 year contract, and ideally I will be out of here before then. I've gained almost over 40 pounds since my graduation in May of 09.

But, the main problem is having to move back in with my parents in an area where I can't find a 1 bedroom apartment for less than 1200-1300. That's why I'm trying to relocate.

I'm looking at Austin, TX/Raleigh, NC/Charlotte, NC. Once I end up down there I can pay the 400-500 a month for most apartments and feel like even a PT job would be able to support me while I get my feet on the ground.

I just don't know if I want to take the leap of faith that's needed to move to a different state.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey man. Just thought I would throw my experience in here.
I'm from OH.
Went to school in SC and stayed there 3 years after.
Moved to PA for work for 2 years now live in NY.
I was happier living in some places more than others. But whether I was happy or sad I still drank because it was how I learned to deal with life.
Alcohol is very sneaky. Using it now to treat your feelings of depression could lead to problems in the future.
Good luck figuring things out man!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't begin to tell you how many places I've moved to where my drinking followed. I used to think this would help too.

Nothing will change until you stop making excuses and face reality.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey wvuwhat Maybe it's time to change your priorities. Instead of worrying so much about material things you could work on your health and state of mind. It's a cliche, but I've lived it: money doesn't buy happiness. I've been homeless before and I have lived in the lap of luxury making 2k daily, so I know a bit about it. What you're feeling comes from inside you, not your money or your things. If you're lonely, go out and make some friends. Mix up your volunteer work. You might find a job and some friends in the process. You're going to have to change your perspective because money's not going to fix the things you're complaining about.

Also, just a hint, everyone on the planet with legs has access to a 24/7 365 FREE gym. It's called walking. If you can't walk, roll. Or crawl. The few bucks you're not spending on a gym (which goes where - to the bottle?) is not a good reason to neglect your physical well being, especially since you got shafted in the birth lotto to begin with with your juvenile diabetes. You need to take care of yourself.