Notices

Ironic...But Morally Repugnant?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ironic...But Morally Repugnant?

After 70 days give or take and a clearing mind, I started looking around me and my friends. There is one truism that seems to hold fast - so long as there is positive, negative or confused sentiment people will drink. At least in NYC, bars are packed, wines stores are selling, and every single event i go to (every single one - no lie) is loaded with booze! It got me thinking that although I now view it as evil, the reality is that the companies that make booze will likely continue to make buckets of money. Bad economy - people drink; good economy - people drink; uncertain economy - people drink.

Guess what I did? I just bought a bunch of Diageo, Constellation Brands, AmBev, InBev, SBMLR and HINKY stock.

Only question - is that morally repugnant knowing what i know?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My alcoholic brain would say to myself that if I own shares in a beer company, I might as well support it by drinking its produce. Same way as it would say that if I'm passing a nice pub or bar, it's a kindness and a favour to the owner to go in and support him with my custom. That's the nature of my alcoholism, anyway.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know they say this is a progressive disease...And I believe it is...But...Let's not start that debate. Beer was my poison of choice. I was thinking the other day about how beer companies have progressive packaging to go right along with the disease. I started out very young...Got my buzz out of a six pack...Pretty soon I wanted eight...Enter the twelve pack. That wasn't enough...I don't want a case....An eighteen pack will do.,,,,Ahhh....Why not a case?...Because they have a 30 pack. I don't know....I look back at my drinling crreer and I climbed that ladder just like it was laid out for me. There must have been some thought put into that...It worked for me. Or should I say...It worked on me.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Yeah, as long as humans have emotions they will drink. We used up that privilige.

As far as morally repugnant, it doesn't matter what we think. You have to be ok with your decision. It has ne bearing on the rest of us.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what August said- "they can- i can't" its not a moral issue- its a disease. I tend to think that as more n more info comes down the pike it may not stay as sexy and cool [think tobacco] as it is... but thats an opinion. All i KNOW is that i have used up my priviledge.
As for stocks - why aren't you hedging and also buying in to rehab centers or breathalizer lockouts or anti addictive pharma? :-)