Notices

For sports fans...we are not alone...

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For sports fans...we are not alone...

" 'I feel like I've got a handle on it. But every time I feel like I've beaten it, I take control back of the situation, and I end up falling on my face again.' --Josh Hamilton, interview in Arizona, February 2011 Texas Rangers star Josh Hamilton drank alcohol in a bar Monday night. This would not be news for a Major League Baseball player, except Hamilton is the most well-known recovering drug and alcohol addict in the sport today."

Don't lose hope. Even strong and healthy sports stars with all of their millions and resources aren't immune to the battle that us mere mortals also have to fight. Thankfully, the rangers second baseman, Ian kinsler, stepped into the bar in Dallas where he was and intervened before more damage was done to his career and life.

Stay strong everyone!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i grew up 15 minutes from him in north carolina. i wish him all the best. relapse happens. what he does now is what matters.

not trying to parse that singular quote, but in the 12 step vernacular "I take control back of the situation" is precisely the problem. I am powerless. I have to find a power that doesn't originate in my frontal lobe. I have to commit myself to allowing that power to work in my life so that i don't drink and use drugs.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I heard about this. The fact that he drank isn't all that surprising, but I'm surprised that he did so publically in a well known area bar. Kinda bothers me a little bit when he knows he's a very public example of drug/alcohol addiction recovery and others look up to him. Sends the wrong message. It's one thing to have a moment of weakness, but it's another to be so blatant about it like you couldn't care less. This certainly won't help his chances to land that long-term contract he's hoping for.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
This certainly won't help his chances to land that long-term contract he's hoping for.
Very true.

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
I heard about this. The fact that he drank isn't all that surprising, but I'm surprised that he did so publically in a well known area bar. Kinda bothers me a little bit when he knows he's a very public example of drug/alcohol addiction recovery and others look up to him. Sends the wrong message. It's one thing to have a moment of weakness, but it's another to be so blatant about it like you couldn't care less.
Huh?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Turns out I happen to know one of Josh's sponsors. As it it said in the BB it in not uncommon for an alcoholic to drink before a life changing event or major business deal to go down. I have a lot of compassion for him. Yes he was reckless but he called Ian who came to the bar to help him. Yes, he did stupid things but who here hasn't?

My only question to him would be, why did you go to a bar? Again, I look at myself and my relapses and think. I'm an alcoholic, why do we do anything to hurt ourselves? He's a human being. He is very public because he is good at what he does. I'm grateful to have compassion from my friends when I mess up. I hope he gets the same even though his life is very public.