Notices

Hi! New Here.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! New Here.

I'm a mom of 4 kids between the ages of 16 and 8.

I've been a pretty steady drinker of wine for the last 6 or 7 years. It started out a physical pain that the wine dulled. Now, it takes more wine to dull the pain. Pretty much a daily drinker of 1.5ltr of wine a day.

Not only has it taken a toll on my pocketbook, now it's taking a toll on my stomach / gut. For the last few months, when I drink that much, the next day I spend a fair portion of the next morning on the toilet with extremely painful cramps and diarrhea.

I found this forum one day while Googling the effects of wine on the stomach lining.

Since the new year, I've been limiting my wine intake to the weekends. A few slips with painful days during the week, but mostly weekends.

I'm sipping wine as I type this. Husband and I went out to an Italian restaurant and I opted for a couple glasses of wine with dinner. That cut the edge off the pain and when we came home, I located a .75ltr bottle of wine - which is what I'm sipping now. Problem is, I knew I had a commitment tomorrow afternoon and now I fear a morning of painful cramps and diarrhea.

My father was an alcoholic. I remember many years of AA. When I was 15 he gave me his Serenity Prayer coin, which I had my husband drill a hole in years ago and is now on my keyring.

Anyway, that's my short story.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ya alcohol is not very kind to the body when abused numerous health issues it causes, ulcers, gastritis, delirium tremens to name a few. Never under estimate it alcohol just because it is legal it can be lethal Good job reaching out for help you came to the right place, many of us have been exactly where you are. We tend to drink when we have important engagements the next day, we get tight at exactly the wrong moments. Depending on how sevearly you have been abusing this u might want to look into detox, they can ease the withdraw symptoms and give u some mental clairty and put u on your start to soberiety. For me its taken a while but i know i cannot drink/use anymore i don't have a drinking problem i have a me problem i will abuse anything that you give me. developing a support group to me one that keeps me accountable has been key. I have known and heard of many people on the brink of death, hopeless mental state do a 180 and live a good eventful life. Even just attending a few AA meetings could beneficial to you. My thoughts are with you, and remember its that first drink that gets us everytime!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Mamma4))) - Welcome to SR!!! Though the alcohol may seem to ease the pain now, it can bring on a whole lot more pain and seriously affect your health. Do you see a doctor for your pain? I have an aunt who has severe Crohn's disease and I understand the GI stuff. Unfortunately, treating pain with alcohol/drugs really does cause more problems. You may not see them now, but believe me..they will come if you continue.

The good news is, there are a lot of us here who understand. There is hope, and you might just save yourself some future pain along the way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mamma

yeah wine did a number on my digestive system too. Trying to treat all that with more wine is self defeating, but I'm sure you know that.

I hope you'll decide to stop completely - I'm sure you'll feel the benefit in a couple of weeks. I had some pretty long standing issues clear up when I stopped drinking

I hope you'll decide to see a Dr too - just to check that everythings ok

you'll find a lot of support here - welcome

D
Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I remember the digestive woes well.

I think most of us have been where you are. Knowing the game is up. Doing the weekends only thing. But of course you can't do that. If you could you wouldn't be on an alcoholism support forum, drinking on a Thursday.

Keep moving forward. Abstinence is the key.

I used Rational Recovery.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I used to see a Dr for the pain, but due to the economy, we lost health insurance and I had to stop going to the Dr.

I knew it was a bad idea as soon as I ordered the wine last night.
I know I can't drink the wine like I used to, and we recently got health insurance again.

I've been reading this site for a while now and I've seen myself in quite a few posts. I was just so upset with myself last night that I broke down and registered and posted.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamma4 View Post
Thanks everyone.

I used to see a Dr for the pain, but due to the economy, we lost health insurance and I had to stop going to the Dr.

I know I can't drink the wine like I used to, and we recently got health insurance again.

I've been reading this site for a while now and I've seen myself in quite a few posts. I was just so upset with myself last night that I broke down and registered and posted.
Welcome. This is a great place to start healing.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Mamma4 View Post
Thanks everyone.

I joined here about 3 years before I quit drinking!

Sober life is really wonderful. You're not giving up one good thing when you give up alcohol.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG,

I'm guess I wasn't the only one. Yes, drinking too much wine gave me the runs too.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Mamma4 !!! Your story hit home with me!! Wine was also my drink of choose and I also had stomach issues! The good news is that since I've quit drinking my stomach woes are gone!! This site has been my saving grace!! You will find caring people who have great insight!!! You can do this!!!! Lind
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the same stomach problems from beer. Never ever hungover, just runs and bloating. I don't miss that at all. Hang in there!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome mama:

My 4 are near same age as yours. 18,16,8 and 6. Never a dull moment here.

I too struggled with lower GI distress when I was drinking and have felt better since I quit. I'm looking forward to many health benefits of sobriety in the future. Right now I like waking up with no remorse and guilt.

Glad you are here and wish you the best.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mamma!

I can relate, too..... Until I got sober, I didn't even realize how much drinking wine every night was affecting me.

Glad you decided to post! You can turn this around (if you want to!).
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mama! You'll never regret your decision to stop abusing yourself. I wish I'd had the sense to quit long before I did. My stomach lining will never be the same, & now I can't take pain meds. when I really need them. Glad to have you aboard - you're not alone with this, we all understand how you feel.