Notices

Whats happening to me?!?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whats happening to me?!?

Hi guys,

Fairly new here, and only posted a couple of times.

Drank heavily for 8 months, although not every day. However, when my girlfriend left me and I lost my job in October 2011, I drank and got paralytic every day for about 4/5 weeks; mainly drinking whiskey. I subsequently went to hospital, but all my bloods and liver were normal and they said I was healthy.

I have STOPPED drinking completely for 2 months now, but my main issue is confusion; i.e. forgetting peoples names and general memory confusion. In addition to this, I am very tired and very depressed and not thinking well.

Are these symptoms normal? Please can people share their experiences of their recovery and what they went through? It would be a great help.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thinkgs like that can be caused by a variety of factors...early recoery is just one of them - but yeah, it matches my experience...my confusion and 'brain fog' actually lasted longer than a couple of months.

But if you're worried at all it's best to check with your Dr - best to set your mind at ease

D
Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Oh yes. My brain has been like scrambled eggs (I'm at 34 days). Forget where I park the car, forget who I'm calling on the phone, etc. I was even talking with my 16 year old son the other day and forgot his name. lol

I think we're "normal," but like Dee said if it causes you some real concern, check with your doc. Good job on your two months.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Know how you feell 211. I've got 68 days today and i'm still a mess. Brain fog, no energy, anxiety, depression. Fun stuff. I'm actually going to outpatient therapy for the anxiety and depression, it has gotten that bad.

From what I've read and heard it will eventually pass for most.

Hang in there.

God bless.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Its called Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS)...google it!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They told us in treatment that it can take 6 months to a year for your brain chemistry to return to baseline
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 2 months! This sounds like me at the same time. At 6 months, I felt almost okay, by 8 months the sugar cravings slowed down. Yeah, we damage our selves when we drink. If you are really worried, see a doctor for a physical and tell him/her honestly what is going on.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Honestly, I had to go back and read some of my posts to review some time frames and other people's responses..and it seems like what you are experiencing is not out of the ball park. But I was concerned myself with some similar feelings and had my doctor's help in checking some things out for peace of mind too. And it turned out I did need to take care of some things, which I did take care of with my doctor's assistance.
The body is a miracle, but needs time for healing. Try not to become frustrated and keep taking care of yourself- it's worth it!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Congrats on 2 months! This sounds like me at the same time. At 6 months, I felt almost okay, by 8 months the sugar cravings slowed down. Yeah, we damage our selves when we drink. If you are really worried, see a doctor for a physical and tell him/her honestly what is going on.
I could have written this...Spot on. Still like my damn chocolate though. Maybe I'll lose that in the coming weeks.