Notices

Day 5

Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Hello everyone,

Well this is day five for me and so far so good. The paper is coming along nicely. I stayed up unil 8:00 AM working on it then took a nap. I would not have been able to sleep so I stayed up until I was tired enough to fall out. I have not slept soundly for some time now, hopefully this will soon change.

My brother called today to let me know he will be moving down here to stay with me around 2-3 months from now. I love him dearly, we get along very well and we had planed this last fall. Unfortunately we are to much alike. We used to party together as teens, young adults, and recently. I had to go home in August because my father had passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. All my family lives in NH and I stayed until mid December before I came home to PA. Needless to say we did our share of partying while I was up there. Every one else in the family has either achieved sobriety, has never had a problem, or refrains from social drinking out of respect for their recovering spouse. You can imagine how his and my 4 month rampage was frowned upon. So I asked him if he was still drinking and he said," yes but not as much." I have spoken with him several times in the last 2 weeks and he sounded sober;not drunk. I did not tell him about my latest endeavor of not drinking. Financially we need to share the living expenses. At this time he is homeless and crashing at my nieces, she is in recovery so that is not a very good situation. I am currently unemployed and physicaly unable to find work at this time. I am a student because of a necessary career change because I was injured in a wreck a few years ago. The money is running low and He can not find work up there but has had a job offer down here.So considering I own my own home it works best for both if he comes here. WOW! sorry to go on so but I feel the need to explain the situation.Now the dilemma.

Can any of you tell me how you would handle this situation? Should I tell him and hope he follows suit? He has achieved two years of sobriety and went back drinking around a year ago.I don't want to close the door on him and not follow through with our plans. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Finmywayback; 02-01-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: oops mis speling
Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure he will figure it out. As far as him following suit...You can only lead by example. Keep an eye on your own sobriety. Priority number one.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd probably think about this more carefully.
If you decide to do it, set your boundaries crystal clear and upfront, Fin.

D
Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would tell him in advance so he has an idea what to expect. Even if he doesn't get sober with you he could respect your efforts.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

FMWB, congrats on Day 5! I'm kinda thinkin' along the lines of what Dee mentioned above. Whatever you decide make sure you're comfortable with it.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I should let him know. Maybe he will try to do the same. I know he wants to quit because he told me so. It would be nice if this could be a safe haven for him and a place to fell secure, not judged, and encouraged to find his way back. I know it has to be his deccision to quit. I also know I am not going to be able to be around booze right now. Thank you.