Notices

Our patient, wicked addiction

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our patient, wicked addiction

I went to a meeting last night with some new friends and saw a guy there I first got sober with. I had run into him in November at the store and was doing well. In fact, he asked very loudly in the Target parking lot - "are you still sober?"

When I saw him come into the meeting I congratulated him on his one year-prematurely it turns out. I asked him what happened, he just shook his and said "Shht happens." I could tell he had a lot of shame and disappointment with it. I just told him I was really glad to see him and glad he was back.

So what happened? He worked a very active program, many meetings, dating a girl in recovery... ahhh- this woman is the biggest emotional basket case I've ever met. Relationship before first year? Maybe. But she didn't drink, he did. There was a potentially fatal flaw in his process. I hope he figures it out.

This disease is a patient, wicked, temptress looking to exploit any opportunity.

There are those that have gone before me that are successful and I find it worth my while to learn how they did it and do what I can to emulate their process. AA makes this very simple for me.

I never "forgot to drink" so I can't forget I'm in recovery.

Have a good night, everyone. Don't drink tomorrow and you will have done the same thing every successful recovering alcoholic did that day too.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Overconfidence can be more dangerous than is commonly realised?

Thanks for the post