Notices

Well guys....

Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well guys....

Been on here for a little while. Havnt solved my problem yet but hopefully I'm closer to it. Some of you may know my story some of you may not.

Long story short had kind of a breakdown Saturday night and told my ex the truth about my drinking. She came and picked me up to talk and then insisted I stay with her to cool down. Even though were havnt been together in a long time she said how much she cared about me and wasn't gonna let me continue down this path. Well Sunday morning she woke me up and said she had called my mom and told her everything.

Honestly I was so livid at here I didn't even know what to do, and ashamed to even talk to my mom. The ex said mom was upset when she talked to her but she just wants me to get help and get better.

I eventually went over to my moms house and her, my brother and I all sat outside and talked about this. It was kind of like a heart to heart thing I guess. For a long time I've had the fear of telling her or talking to her about this. Alot of folks on here have told me in the past just to do it, she's your mom and will want to help you. I didn't believe that but now I know it's the truth.

She's calling a place tommorow about outpatient rehab. Honestly I dont know what to think about all this, but it is what it is. there's no way I can do a inpatient, I'd go nuts, plus I have to work.

Soooo.... I guess I have the ex to thank for all this which I guess isn't a bad thing. I've been living with a buddy and his girl for a while. It's really helped me kinda lead a more normal lifestyle. My drinking has slowed way down. Home cooked meal every night, good friends to hang out with to kinda distract me.

I've been friends with them for almost 10 years, there some of my best friends and have really come through for me recently. I know you need to be selective who you tell regarding this issue, but I'm thinking they need to know the truth.

Your thoughts guys/gals?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tony,

My first thought is how lucky you are to have the family and friends that you have! I wish everyone had that much good support. You are very fortunate.

Let them help you. As far as telling your friends, I don't know. It would seem to me a natural thing to do since they are long time friends, are apparently living right, and you are living with them, but there is no right or wrong there. Do whatever you want to do.

I hope that you make this the start of a sober life. You will love it.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tony

I think you're very lucky to have a supportive family too

As for friends - I told everyone - but I didn't really need to - my problems were obvious.

Weigh it up - if you want to tell them because you keep finding yourself in drinking situations with them that's one thing...but if you're wanting to tell them to feel unburdened like you do with your family, maybe that can wait.

If you have any doubts, maybe it's best to focus on IOP for now?
D
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

just get well!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was drinking heavily, was told to take time off ( two weeks,,,) got a dui shortly after and was sent to rehab,, upon my return from rehab I was told directly that I was to to go to all of my offices I was in charge of ( 6 total ) and explain to the managers and the staff what had happened to me and what was going on with me,, where I had been etc... Humiliating,,, obviously I am an alcoholic, and I was responsible for my actions.. But instantly upon my return from rehab to re-enter my workplace and my marching orders were to tell people what was going on. Just couldnt believe it.. When I say they made me,, what was my choice??? They told me I had to ,, I was making a ton of money and couldnt say no. Nor was my mind in the right place to be questioning anything....
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

great to hear tony, stick with it. family is there for you, that is awesome because some of mine isnt.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

So happy to hear this Tony. I've been wondering what has progressed for you. Sounds like you are in a great situation to get started with solid recovery.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Do whatever you have to do to get well, Tony. I agree that the support of family is vital and it's a real blessing that they are there for you and willing to get you the help you need.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words guys, trying to figure out all my options. Kinda overwhelmed by this.