Rehab

Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

So finally dropped ABF off at rehab this evening. While he agreed to go in over two weeks ago, the chosen place took a while to get things sorted and while he was waiting for the admission interview and subsequent admission, he hit bd withdrawals and ended up in hospital for a week.

I guess the good news is that this time he didn't discharge himself early, he followed the Docs advice and stayed in over the weekend and we pretty much went straight from hospital to the rehab centre. He's done one stint before, 4 weeks, just over 14 months ago. This time it will be 8 weeks and he's gone in cold stone sober. I could tell he was apprehensive and trying not to get too emotional before I left.

He called about an hour ago to make sure I got home OK, it's about a 3 hr drive from home, he said everything is ok-ish. That it's very different from the last place but he's going to get through tonight and see what tomorrow brings. That he wants to give it a go, for us and for him.

He asked me how I feel and I really don't know - relieved he's finally in there, happy cos I know that the two work trips I have coming up will be stress-free as I wont be worrying about what he's up to on his lonesome. Worried about and missing him, 8 weeks is a long time and he may well stay in for 12, which would make it 3 months apart.

I guess what I'm most concerned about, and by concerned I mean what is taking up most of my thoughts about the topic, is what it will be like when he gets out. Will he have changed, and by changed I don't mean now miraculously be a non-drinker, or firmly in recovery, though I do hope he will be at least embracing his recovery and working a programme. After the last stint, and for most of the past year he's been more of a dry drunk than in recovery though he was starting to embrace it before his relapse. Actually by different, I'm not sure what I mean, and I guess I shouldn't even be thinking that far ahead yet. I should be thinking about what I'm going to do to work on my own recovery in this period apart - main objective is to not turn into a workaholic.

I'm rambling now so I'll stop but I'd be interested in hearing about what rehab experiences others here have had, if you don't mind sharing.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

this is not about HIM

his recovery is just that...HIS

now about you? did you know you can set boundaries and healthy ones..
have you been to AL ANON..if not, run! and i mean RUN fast..please give yourself 6meetings...now this is YOUR time for recovery...did you know you have choices about this relationship.?

3C's
you did not cause this
you can not control it
and there is no cure...

please read all the stickies to inlighten you, read about this SICK disease and how it effects everyone in the family.....

god bless you
Maggie
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

this is not about HIM

now about you? did you know you can set boundaries and healthy ones..
have you been to AL ANON..if not, run! and i mean RUN fast..please give yourself 6meetings...now this is YOUR time for recovery...did you know you have choices about this relationship.?

3C's
you did not cause this
you can not control it
and there is no cure...

please read all the stickies to inlighten you, read about this SICK disease and how it effects everyone in the family.....

god bless you
Maggie
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

this is not about HIM

now about you, did you know you can set boundaries and healthy ones?..

3C's
you did not cause this
you can not control it
and there is no cure...

god bless you
Maggie
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

oops sorry..computer problems....