Notices

Am I just switching my DOC?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I just switching my DOC?

After drinking daily for the last 16 yrs or so, I've been alcohol free for over 30 days. I feel great. Some DT issues, otherwise doing well. HOWEVER, I do smoke weed. I have for a while, but since I quit drinking I find I look forward to a smoke at the end of the day. I don't need to, but my DH and I quit drinking together and smoking at the end of the day is enjoyable and relaxing.
I feel as though it has helped me transition into being a non-drinker.
I know I'm probably not going to like what others have to say about this but I'd like to hear just the same. I'd really like to know if anyone who has quit drinking has done the same thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I guess that is probably up to you to decide. In a sense, your simply using weed to "escape" the day, just as you would use alcohol. I'm not saying your choice is right or wrong, but if ou have an obsession with it, then I would maybe reconsider your choices.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not even going to try and be non-partisan lol.

I smoked daily for 25 years or so.
Weed got me into every bit as much trouble as alcohol did later.

All the self destruction, the avoiding my commitments and responsibilities, the damage to relationships, the despair, the gnawing (& growing) need...exactly the same.

I think it's the self same leaky boat on the same sea of crud.

The bottom line is it wasn't really the weed or the alcohol that was the problem - it was me and my need to escape from reality.

As long as I was still looking for that escape - I was in trouble.

D
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto what Dee posted. When I first started smoking weed, it was just a once in a while thing. Then it became just at the end of the day. Then it became all day everday.

The withdrawals from weed for me were just as bad as from alcohol, if not worse.

You wanted to hear what we thought about. I think it's very bad news. Just what I think.

Keep on posting and reading. Glad you have joined us.

God bless.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

kiknit

From one addiction to another will lead to another. I have tried to smoke weed couple times, did not like it. I will not try it ever again just to protect myself.

Weed is as hard to quit as alcohol.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

kiknit

From one addiction to another will lead to another. I have tried to smoke weed couple times, did not like it. I will not try it ever again just to protect myself.

Weed is as hard to quit as alcohol.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit drinking entirely for over 3 weeks one time by getting so loaded each night I could barely find my bed. I told the drinkers I was around they should leave that crap alone and just smoke weed like me, that getting drunk was for losers and old people. I think I was just more nuts than usual as I got further from my last drink and what alcohol did for me.

After the weeks were done the dope wasn't hitting the button I needed hit and I had to drink again. Some people can do it longer, but I've not seen it work out well longterm.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts. I't basically what I thought, but you all were very nice about it. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm keeping all this in mind
Old 01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Put it this way, I was an all-day, every day pot smoker for ten years. Quit smoking, but continued to drink thinking, "Alcohol isn't my problem."

Yet here I am...
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NAIOU

sorry about that. logo
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Big Time Smoker

:rotfxkoThis is what it was like for me. Anything that changes the way I feel is a problem for me. You might be one of those people that can just smoke just one after work. Time will tell. This is what it was like for me. After 20yrs. of smoking I would wake up in the morning to go to work and the first thing I did was smoke a joint,then I would smoke on the way to work, smoke at 9:00 break,smoke at lunch, smoke at afternoon break, smoke on the way home and then when home I would smoke as much as I could. My whole world evolved around smoking dope. I had to learn how to live life with out the use of drugs or alcohol. Hope this helps. Love and Respect. logo
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Every Night?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm kinda' with langkah on this one. My DOC is definitely alcohol, but I have been an occasional weed smoker over the years. I'm only on day 6 and I'm afraid to fire up because I think I'll get high, but it won't be the "right" high, and will just drive me back to my drug/high of choice. I have zero experience on this, but that's my thinking on it on day 6. Hope it helps.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

JMO, but I stay away from anything that is mind-altering, be it alcohol, prescription drugs, Mary Jane or anything else. It's tough to reject alternatives to the "buzz" that alcohol gave me, but I realize that if I turn to anything else, I'm not recovered, even though I no longer drink. Substituting one DOC for another is not solving anything for me. Again, JMO.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't think weed is as cut and dry textbook as alcoholism.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wanted to try replacing alcohol with weed (been sober since last august) bc I am desperate for a high, any high. But I am afraid I will be unsatisfied and turn back to my fav, the booze. I keep thinking about the people I will be letting down, including myself, and as much ai want a high, I just tell myself no. so far so good.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Anxiety suffers, if you stay sober long enough

oops!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

pot or not

I do both AA and NA.
When I got here I was total garbage head . Thought I 'might' have a problem w/ booze so switched to pot for a couple weeks... heh, I stayed away from the bottle for 14 days - lets party!!!
Ok.
That was 16+ years ago. I came to understand that all those mind altering substances were just about me being afraid to know me. If I could have been a "recreational " user maybe I would not have lost the folks n stuff I lost. But I am not. Sooner or later I'm on a run or a run in or just plain running.

I have lost some privileges along the way- I can no longer be mean to my kid , my SO or myself. Can no longer act as if i'm center of the universe. No longer walk around high.... If I am not moving towards my recovery, I firmly believe I am moving towards a relapse.

And frankly- I am on a Big Life Roll. Seems like I get a lot done nowadays- finished writing my novel, building my 3rd boat [31' catamaran woo hoo!], sponsoring a few guys. workin steps , fishin with my boy, finished installing the last solar panels in Nov.... when I was using - these were all just mirages ,talk and lots o smoke. Now I participate fully in my life....

Its the only way i know how to live anymore
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Every Night?
It's been every night since I quit. My DH has smoked 2-3 times a day for years, so it's just there and I say "why not"?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
I wanted to try replacing alcohol with weed (been sober since last august) bc I am desperate for a high, any high. But I am afraid I will be unsatisfied and turn back to my fav, the booze. I keep thinking about the people I will be letting down, including myself, and as much ai want a high, I just tell myself no. so far so good.
I agree. Best not to do it for sure. It's not worth letting yourself down. No chemical high is as good as the great feeling of "Hey, I'm sober, and it feels good". Ive just started a routine that I need to get out of, hopefully soon.