Notices

Not sure what to do

Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what to do

I've been drinking now non stop for weeks. I just could not stop.
Today I finally decided to stop.

I feel so low and depressed. Its not like I want to have a drink, just not sure how to overcome this depression.

Why can't I enjoy a drink at the party and then go home and enjoy juice.

Im not sure if I will be happy without drink. So depressed.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't dwell too much on the past or future today. Withdrawal can amplify depression. Try to calm the chatter in your head with soothing music, reading other posts on here or a funny movie. Just for today you aren't drinking. Take care of yourself today........
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bostonluv

I don't understand how did I let myself this far. Im not that young anymore and I don't have even a boyfriend I feel as low as I actually ever felt.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
bostonluv

I don't understand how did I let myself this far. Im not that young anymore and I don't have even a boyfriend I feel as low as I actually ever felt.

Well then the only way to go is up. I just started this too, it may be to your benefit to be single as you don't have the pressure of the other person doing what you wish you could. Last week, during my 'no drinking on the weekdays' experiment the man had a beer while we were watching TV. I was practically salivating over it, and I don't even like beer!

You don't have that to deal with- I've been avoiding TV too, so much drinking glamorized, even the Today Show.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

liftandrun

I can't watch my favourite show (its a cooking show), they drink there each and every time. What day are you?

At the moment if someone comes to my place with a bottle I will be in trouble I know.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was my cry for many years.
I had no off switch when it came to alcohol.

The only way to get the kind of life I wanted, and be the person I wanted, to be was to keep that switch off and not drink - at all.

The longer I tried to drink 'like everyone else' the worse I got at it.

I really hope you decide to make the changes you need to make HF.
D
Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was my cry for many years.
I had no off switch when it came to alcohol.

The only way to get the kind of life I wanted, and be the person I wanted, to be was to keep that switch off and not drink - at all.

I really hope you decide to make the changes you need to make HF.
D
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee,

I agree. It is so hard to balance. But the thought of not enjoying it like everyone else, really upsets and depresses me.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi healthy food,

I'm in the 50day range. The early days were like when you first start exercising. You don't feel any better for a while, but then you start deriving motivation because you can see the results of your efforts.

I also thought that I treated depression with alcohol, but now after reading a lot Im starting to think it was the cause.

Look inside yourself, and be true to the "real" you.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

unentschieden

50 days wow. My longest was 6 days. 2x. This time I have no plan. Im also scared that if I can't quit it means this condition will follow me forever?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

the thought of not enjoying it like everyone else, really upsets and depresses me.
Yep. We can be stubborn.
All I can tell you is I enjoy my sober life far more than I ever did my drinking one.

Every day I give thanks I gave up alcohol - I fought so hard to keep my old life - and it was barely a half-life the way I see it now.

It's a leap of faith making the change - and it's scary to contemplate - but it's worth it.

I'm happy for the first time in my adult life, I'm content, and I have a sense of peace regardless of whats happening around me - and all I had to do was give up alcohol

D
Old 01-30-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello and congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. I know for me I use to drink to self medicate.And I would wake up the next day feeling even worse and the depression would start all over again. And the no brainier here is that alcohol is a know depressant For me it was hard for me to know or accept that I was an alcoholic.It took me almost 25 years of countless trips to jails and hospitals. And finally becoming homeless,jobless,and friendless before it hit me that I really had a problem.Please don't let this happen to you take responsibility and get the help you need.And good luck to you.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yep. We can be stubborn.
All I can tell you is I enjoy my sober life far more than I ever did my drinking one.

Every day I give thanks I gave up alcohol - I fought so hard to keep my old life - and it was barely a half-life the way I see it now.

It's a leap of faith making the change - and it's scary to contemplate - but it's worth it.

I'm happy for the first time in my adult life, I'm content, and I have a sense of peace regardless of whats happening around me - and all I had to do was give up alcohol

D
As always I like you comments!!!! Im sure I will manage to exit the shop without the bottle in my basket. But not sure yet how to deal with old friends...that are occasional drinkers. It will be very hard challenge.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

lhenderson

I understand that alco is the road to nowhere... I seriously understand it.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to come undone by old friends coming over too.
I wanted the friendship and I wanted the drink.

As long as I thought drinking was a viable option anytime I was sunk.
Alcohol is toxic to me, any time, any amount, any place HF.

can you tell your old friends you're not drinking anymore?

D
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi Healthy! Welcome.

Many of us go through a mourning period when we recognize how serious our addiction is. We mourn the good times that our DOC once brought us, we mourn the idea we had about who we are, we mourn having a "go to" when we didn't want to deal with life. That's normal, it's part of the process.

As an alcoholic (sorry if that is not how you identify yourself, using that term for ease and clarity) We tend to see everything as how it relates to booze and our drinking. When we stop drinking, we are still looking through booze colored glasses. And instead of seeing the reality of a full life for us, all we see is a life devoid of booze. Such a thing is inconceivable to us.

In early sobriety we often focus much more on the one thing we can't do rather than the 875,973,652,000 things we now can do because we are not drinking all the time.

So, we can stay stuck in depression that we can't drink like most people can. Or we can have a mourning period and then start celebrating the millions of things we can do!

The first days are tough, we're stumbling around lost. But hang in there and hang in here and it will get better. In fact it will get good.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dee74

Well I could tell them...but Im not brave yet to make this statement. They won't take that seriously and will make jokes. But to be honest I don't have any friends that are addicts like me.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Threshold

I am trying to concentrate on good things that I could do to distract myself. Did some reading, cooked dinner, had dessert. Today Im ok, but not sure about tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I got to the point I needed to tell my friends - there were those who supported me....those I kept.

The ones who made jokes or continued to offer me drinks were drinking buddies...& I let them go.

D
Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dee74

I have one very special friend and we have always drunk together. He is the one who can easily say no to drink for a long time. Not me. So when he thinks of me, he thinks wine. I think he can't picture me with a cup of tea. Im ashamed about telling Im quitting, not sure why?