Notices

Another newbie!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another newbie!

Greetings, and I'm glad I found you all. A 'brief' introduction: I am what you would call a rapid learner in becoming an alcoholic. I went from being a non drinker to a full blown alcoholic in about 3-4 years.

I am a closet alcoholic. I LOVE to drink alone, never go to bars. After making the painful, yet necessary decision to leave an abusive marriage of 19 years, I packed my bags in the big secret leaving plan only to get two DUI's in 24 hours. I've never even had a parking ticket. (Needless to say, this foiled my chance to really leave.)

In 3 years, I lived in 4 different states, multiple homes within each state while desperately trying to leave this relationship. All the while my alcoholism just escalated to this point.

Enter 3 months in jail, several out patient stints and one short inpatient. They were unsuccessful as I didn't really want to quit. I saw no hope for my life.

A family member offered her home to me in yet again another state. I was set up with a job and a two month inpatient program which was absolutely wonderful.

I'm on my way...but it is a LONG road. I left with the clothes on my back and my dignity. I won't be able to drive for another month, know no one here (very small MWestern town) and am desperately lonely. I believe that is my biggest barrier for me right now. I am so homesick for my friends. They were not users. That is one of the reasons I am so pleased to find you all right here.

Again, thank you for the opportunity to do some reading here.

Abbey888
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm new here too. I can totally relate to the closet drinking. I don't think anyone other than maybe my closest friends have any idea how much insane drinking I do at home alone.

Glad you are on the path with me!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Abbey! Glad you are here. This place has helped me alot with my recovery. You are not alone. We do recover.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MINEr

Welcome to SR, and to sobriety. It's a lot of hard work, but it's so worth it.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Abbey

D
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome Abbey, this is a fantastic place, everyone is supportive.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abbey888 View Post
I'm on my way...but it is a LONG road.
That's quite a history you have. Just curious what the road for you is. Do you have any kind of plan to change your life? Any direction?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I DO have a plan that has been years in the making. Drinking has not helped, but I still have an ultimate plan to get back 'home' where I have a wonderful circle of friends and the comfort of living in a city I love.

I'm working a very well paying job (70-80 hours a week) in order to save money to once again be on my own two feet. All my fines are paid, just waiting for the courts to do their thing. Haha...that could be awhile.

One thing I learned in my group home is to be patient. Well, that is something I daily work on as I want it to happen NOW. I've also not completely there on the resentment issues, but it's a work in progress. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll get over some of the things in my past, but I have to let them go.

Well, off to work...then home...then work...ugh. I need a life again!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

I too started drinking alcoholiclly late in life. Got 2 DUI'S in the matter of 3 months.
What an expensive mess I made!!!

But I'm sober and I'm here. Glad you are too!!!