Notices

Telling People

Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
So it goes

Telling People

I have decided that the only way I am going to crack this is to be totally open that I have a problem if I need to. I started by telling my gf I had a problem. She had no idea, because I had been sensible around her, however, because I told her how I planned to continue and not to drink, and explained that the drunk me is not someone she will ever see, she decided she liked the normal me enough to give me a chance
Thank you God for that
I just have to put it right with family now, still it is the drinks fault, not theirs
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, it can be hard telling people. I'm two years sober and still have issues with it.
Who to tell? who not to tell? It gets confusing.

Fortunately, my close friends all knew I was a drunk, so in quitting, I think they understand.

Thinking about it now, I guess I haven't really told that many people. I guess I feel it's my own business. I don't drink any more is what I usualy say. People understand. To them it's not a big deal, they've got their own lives and problems.

Thanks for bringing this up. It made me think.

Best to you.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Thanks I understand your point ghostlight, mine was those around me socially did not know, so I could have kept on with secret drinking, or having too much and putting it down to a one off. I also work in an environment where drink is the norm , so I had to decide to be open to succeed. I suspect in your case you have implicitly told people as you say they understand,
We all plough our own furrow to get to the solution. I just wondered what other people thought of being open. I remember years ago a good friend admitted he was AA. I was surprised, but my immediate thought was dont offer him a drink.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Telling a lot of people can blow up in you face later. It's kind of like telling people you are on a diet and they then they watch every little thing that goes into your mouth. It's your decision but right now I am very choosy about who I trust with this information.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's a difficult one. Personally, I prefer to only tell very close people so obv my husband knows. Even my mum is hard to tell so I've just said I'm stopping drinking for health and weight reasons. She genuinely would not want me to say to her that I have a drink problem/ am an alcoholic even though she has seen exactly what I can be like

I would also exercise caution about telling friends/colleagues etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
So it goes

Thanks good point will bear in mind
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My problems are nobody's business, save those affected by them. Having said that, anyone around me at all within the last few years of my drinking knows perfectly well I'm a bloody incomparably horrendous booze hound, so for me the question is a non-starter.

But I would say Bostonluv and justhadenough have valid points. Exercise caution. I'd add that some folks have a special talent for taking certain bits of information and blowing it way out of proportion. As sad as it might sound, there are also those among us all that will use information like 'a drinking problem' against you if and when it serves their own self interest.

IMO Just stick with telling only those close to you and add that they should keep it to themselves.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

being open is a iffy thing for me, people in my life have tended to use personal things against me...eventually. I dont want to give anyone ammunition....guess i want support but careful who i tell...so far i have only told one person, a man ive been dating and its his money that took me where I am...blacking out...yes me too, its been my decision and inability to stop with 2-3 beers. I cant stop once I start. That makes me an alcoholic. So I have to quit, want to quit, Im on day 3, trying to beat the nausua and keeping busy as i can. (but would rather lay here and be lazy, and have a pity party. Its my 56th BD in a few weeks and Im not my best and i long to be. Im worth it. Ive put myself thru too much already.