Notices

Living Life Sober

Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Living Life Sober

I will be hitting my 30 days sober mark tomorrow. Wow. I never thought in a million years that this would ever happen, after so many relapses and bumps in the road along the way.

When I pick up my 30-day chip at AA on Monday, there will be much emotion on my part. Most notably, the difference in my life since I got sober. Since I got sober, I:

1. Wake up in the morning clear-headed and ready to face the day without dread, sickness, wondering where my next drink is coming from, and without having to take a couple of shots of whiskey before my feet hit the floor.

2. Look forward to being able to get out into the world and DO things, instead of isolating myself in a whiskey bottle and being afraid for anyone to see me.

3. Am more available to my husband and children and I am there when they need me...whether they need something simple like a meal or whether they need someone to talk to or help them with something they can't do themselves.

4. Like what I see in the mirror in the morning. I no longer see a puffy-faced worn-out, hopeless-looking face in the morning ... instead I see someone who has energy, joy, and a zest for living. I'm not a morning person, per se, but I look and feel so much better in the morning than I did when I woke up in the morning, or, God forbid, got up in the morning still drunk from the night before.

5. I no longer have to worry what happened the night before and no longer have the burden of having to apologize for whatever I did/said to hurt someone I love because I was drunk.

6. I see that I have a future that will be so much brighter without alcohol. Alcohol used to be the only way that I could get through the day ... now, alcohol is the only way I WON'T get through my day. What a turnaround.

7. I like myself so much more. While I still have a lot of work to do on myself, I realize that my disease wasn't my fault and I no longer beat myself up for the horrible things I did when I was drunk. That doesn't mean I don't hold myself accountable ... it just means that I forgave myself for the things I did while under the influence of a disease that is cunning, baffling, and powerful. I CAN defeat the beast, and I'm doing that ... one day at a time.

There is more, but it would take up too much space. But I'm curious to know what has happened for YOU since you got sober. Your stories will inspire and encourage me to keep going. What have you gotten back since you gave up alcohol/drugs?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations desertsong

the change for me? I love my life and I'm happy - never had that before as an adult.
It's still pretty special

D
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I get to remember conversations I had the afternoon before. My daughters willingly engage me in a conversation that means something to them. I can hear an opposing point of view without exploding in anger and frustration. My skin is better and I've lost weight. I am taking care of my teeth now. My eyes are clearer. My sense of humor has returned. My athlete's foot has cleared up and my car gets better gas mileage.

OK, maybe not the last one. But it's not any worse.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Desertsong,
You sound fantastic, it is a great idea to list the positive changes since being sober. I can relate to most of them.
One thing I really love is that I am doing the things I would talk about doing when drinking.
I am not scared to do stuff or procrastinate and come up with a thousand excuses.
I am really enjoying my life.
CaiHong
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats, Desert!