Notices

Can't Sleep

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't Sleep

Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman
Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the Sandman comes calling soon Fitz

D
Old 01-28-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What the heck are you doing up?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live on the other side of the world Fitz - croc hunter country
It's not far off my bedtime tho so it must be way past yours?

D
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you sleep soon. I had problems sleeping tonight as well. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Insomnia and anxiety can be common in early recovery. I remember all too well. And I know it is doubly frustrating when you are experiencing cravings and would just like to sleep to forget them all.

I read somewhere once that long term alcohol abuse makes the brain over produce a sort of chemical to counteract the sedating effects of alcohol. When you quit, this chemical is still in overdrive for awhile, which can be the reason for withdrawal insomnia and anxiety.

My sleep pattern gradually improved. There are a lot of good, natural sleeping tips across the Internet. I finally got so tired of withdrawal symptoms from being sober and relapsing, it was a major motivation in my decision to quit for good.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i've had insomnia often, both sober and drinking. i've learned not to fight it, just give up and sleep will happen. right now i've been up since 345AM...not because of alcohol, but because of worry, work circumstances.

hopefully tonight i'll get a solid sleep.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Too many years of passing out and coming to instead of falling asleep and waking up. Finally got to sleep at 3:30 but at 6 the pup decided it was time for a walk and breakfast. Thank God I have him though, I can use some love.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Not sleeping was one of the top reasons I drank and used. I wanted to shut off my brain. Now reaching for a bottle isn't an option, so sleeping in yet another skill I am learning/practicing in recovery.

It's a process. This week it's been a bumpy process, so my heart goes out to you Fitz. I was up late with worry, then up in the middle of the night with a horrendous backache. It took a couple advil and several chapters reading pre-Columbian history to put me back to sleep for two fitful hours.

I am putting myself to sleep these days with a mental gratitude list, find some little area of my life and think of all the things in that area I am grateful for. Or even a shopping list and how grateful I am that I can buy the things I need.

It's my last day of work for the week, for that I am truly grateful. I am so tired I could cry.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So much of this is relevant to me, I find sleeping a real battle! Whilst drinking, I would sleep well for say an hour then wake with a vengeance and trying to get back to sleep was rarely an option.
Now, without drink, I know that once again I will find sleep just as hard!!
I once went 2 weeks without a drink though and slowly a sleep pattern was developing so am hoping this will happen again (I am far more determined this time!) .....great posts ya'll and all the best.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sleep like in 15 minute cycles. It's always been that way unless I was really drunk. Better to not sleep than pass out. I know all will and is getting better. Sometime life is a trade off.. Oh and I used to wake up just to drink. This is better.