Notices

Hello from a serial quitter quiting for the last time!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from a serial quitter quiting for the last time!

Hello. I'm a lifelong drinker who has tried something like 15 times to quit drinking. I have managed a few periods of a few months here and there, but have always been defeated either by not having a decent plan, by giving in to cravings or by being overwhelmed by depression.

During twenty years or more I attended AA, sought support on-line, tried AVRT, RR, SOS - you name it and I tried it.

So what is different this time. Well I am two weeks in - two weeks without alcohol, having for the very first time sort medical help. The doctor I saw was very understanding and prescribed anti-depressants and something called Camprol (the UK trade name) which combat cravings. I was also referred to a support group which I have attended.

I feel great! The depression I have always sunk into has not appeared. The cravings I have endured and finally given into in the past have not really made an appearance - nothing that isn't easily overcome at any rate.

In the past I think I would have dismissed such 'crutches', but beggars can't be choosers. For the first time I can see light at the end of the tunnel. It may be the meds, but it is also the motivation! I went to the doctor's! I would have been horror struck if someone had suggested that to me a few short years ago.

Please consider it, if like me, you are a serial quitter looking to quit for the very last time!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Mentium

I'm glad you've found something thats working for you

I'd like to remind everyone though - whats worked for some may not work, or may not be suitable for others.

That's why we ask people not to specifically recommend treatments to others.

Anyone thinking about any med or supplement should see their Dr and seek their opinion

D
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Mentium

I'm glad you've found something thats working for you

I'd like to remind everyone though - whats worked for some may not work, or may not be suitable for others.

That's why we ask people not to specifically recommend treatments to others.

Anyone thinking about any med or supplement should see their Dr and seek their opinion

D
I don't think I was recommending it to everyone. I also referred clearly to seeing a doctor.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you well on your new journey!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sounds great, Mentium. I did the same thing - tried dozens of times to moderate or quit. This last time something was different, and I now have 4 years sober. You can do this! You're going to have a whole new life.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good for you!

I'm reminded of what Mark Twain said about quitting smoking: "Quitting smoking is easy; I've done it dozens of times."

Here's to your last time quitting.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Multiple relapser here too. Finally got sick of the merry-go-round. The withdrawals just got worse each time. The booze and drugs no longer gave me the feeling I was looking for. They just made things worse. Early sobriety isn't easy, but it's so much better than the complete humiliation of drinking and drugging.

Keep posting and reading.

God bless.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I only have one weekly secular group I can attend where I live, so I am relying on on-line contact with fellow travelers here and on another list for support!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Since you made it a few months several times before you know what it's like to be sober that long.

Well done on your two weeks. Keep it going.