Notices

MIA For A Few Days

Old 01-25-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

MIA For A Few Days

Been going through a lot the past few days. My cat Bill has just been diagnosed as diabetic. Made the decision to treat him. My husband is having fits over the cost. Bill hasn't even had his first insulin injection yet and we are already nearly $700 poorer. What with the tests, office visits, and first prescription... Just picked THAT up and along with the needles just dropped $178.

Bill wil be dropped off at the vet in the morning. They're keeping him for the day to monitor him and I'll pick him up in the evening.

I need a job.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bill is a lucky kitty to have you for a mama. So sorry you're having to go through this - good of you to be willing to spend the money. How old is Bill? (I'd be doing the same thing.)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aww, poor kitty, and poor Mommy's wallet I hate when you think you're about to save some money and something like that comes up. When I quit drinking I was all excited about the money I wasn't spening on booze, and then we found ourselves with a 1k transmission bill two weeks later.

FYI, I know several diabetic cats, and they have all gone on to live purr-ductive happy lives.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Bill is a lucky kitty to have you for a mama. So sorry you're having to go through this - good of you to be willing to spend the money. How old is Bill? (I'd be doing the same thing.)
Bill is 12.

I feel so bad for him.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Aww, poor kitty, and poor Mommy's wallet I hate when you think you're about to save some money and something like that comes up. When I quit drinking I was all excited about the money I wasn't spening on booze, and then we found ourselves with a 1k transmission bill two weeks later.

FYI, I know several diabetic cats, and they have all gone on to live purr-ductive happy lives.
It's all pretty overwhelming right now to be honest.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

flamingredhair,
i had a diabetic kitty. home testing, feeding good protein based foods, and testing before insulin can make things so much easier and safer.
there is a site, felinediabetes******.com, you will find great support.
i hope your doctor supports home testing. it isnt safe to give insulin without knowing kitties sugar reading. our first vet said, no, kitty would be scared, sore ears, etc. but i bought an inexpensive kit, home tested, and she would purr right through it. warm the edge of the ear, makes it so easy. safer too.
your bill can have a long sucessful life, and many times they can go into remission, it happens a lot,with good control of their sugar.

if you have any questions, you can pm me. you can also get needles and insulins through walgreen walmart, etc. cheaper.
best to you and Bill.
hugs
chicory
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made that stupid joke about it. Hmm... Can you sell some books, or plasma? Do you have time to deliver some pizzas for a couple of weeks? I would have done the same thing as far as treating your kitty. Your husband will accept it eventually... he's probably overwhelmed same as you. Hugs.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for Bill and for you FRH

D
Old 01-25-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Double post
Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
flamingredhair,
i had a diabetic kitty. home testing, feeding good protein based foods, and testing before insulin can make things so much easier and safer.
there is a site, felinediabetes******.com, you will find great support.
i hope your doctor supports home testing. it isnt safe to give insulin without knowing kitties sugar reading. our first vet said, no, kitty would be scared, sore ears, etc. but i bought an inexpensive kit, home tested, and she would purr right through it. warm the edge of the ear, makes it so easy. safer too.
your bill can have a long sucessful life, and many times they can go into remission, it happens a lot,with good control of their sugar.

if you have any questions, you can pm me. you can also get needles and insulins through walgreen walmart, etc. cheaper.
best to you and Bill.
hugs
chicory
Thank you!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made that stupid joke about it. Hmm... Can you sell some books, or plasma? Do you have time to deliver some pizzas for a couple of weeks? I would have done the same thing as far as treating your kitty. Your husband will accept it eventually... he's probably overwhelmed same as you. Hugs.
I'll figure out something, I suppose.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
prayers for Bill and for you FRH

D
Thank you, Dee!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How do you know a cat is diabetic?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Chicory?

Chicory, my computer is telling me your link might be unsafe.

??
Old 01-25-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

FlamingRed, I am so sorry about Bill's diagnosis. Diabetes is controllable though. So sorry your husband is throwing a fit. Anyhow, I use various prescription medications for my rescue pets and I use insulin for one. I use a pharmacy out of Arizona and they have very good prescription prices on pet meds. Please let me know if you would like their phone #. You can call them and they will contact your vet and then they will mail you your prescriptions at a better cost than most local pharms or vet clinics.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
How do you know a cat is diabetic?
One of the first signs is drinking LOTS of water. And peeing too. The vet ran blood work to confirm it.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
FlamingRed, I am so sorry about Bill's diagnosis. Diabetes is controllable though. So sorry your husband is throwing a fit. Anyhow, I use various prescription medications for my rescue pets and I use insulin for one. I use a pharmacy out of Arizona and they have very good prescription prices on pet meds. Please let me know if you would like their phone #. You can call them and they will contact your vet and then they will mail you your prescriptions at a better cost than most local pharms or vet clinics.
Thanks, why don't you give me the number? Can't hurt to look into it.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Diamondback Pharmacy. 866.646.2223. Also if you happen to have a good relationship with a local animal shelter sometimes they will offer assistance on prescription pet medications. At least they do here in Washington.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I so glad that you're taking care of your beloved pet as well as you can. Good for you!

I have had two hefty vet bills in the last 6 weeks too.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
One of the first signs is drinking LOTS of water. And peeing too. The vet ran blood work to confirm it.
Never knew that, thanks. I have lots of cats. Here's my old cat thread : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ers-group.html