Just an update

Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just an update

Well, my fiance has been in rehab for 3 weeks now and things are going well. I am able to speak to him on the phone and the complaints about wanting to come home have stopped, they actually stopped almost 2 weeks ago and he has sounded so positive about things. He sounds very clear headed and he's really embracing his treatment. I haven't asked him a million questions and he actually told me that he wants to share everything about his recovery with me. He has a journal that he's writing in everyday and he says he can't wait to share it with me. He says he wants me to very much be involved in his recovery. I know its completely up to him to maintain his sobriety and work his program but it is nice to know that he wants to share it with me. I know 3 weeks isn't very long but he has made some good progress. He just sounds genuinely happy and its a change of pace cause I've never heard him like this before. That being said.....

I've also made a good amount of progress myself. I was just sharing with a friend through an email how much my mindset has changed and it was like it all hit me at once as I was writing to her. Yes, I know the real challenge begins when he gets out and is home. But what I have fully come to understand and accept is that things could very well go back to the way they were and if that happens I am totally prepared to pull myself and my children out of the situation. I refuse to expose them to that type of lifestyle and I know I have to be strong for them and get them out of any dangerous situations. I hate that I kept my son around it for as long as I did but now my head is clear, its not clouded by my fiances addiction. My codependency was at its peak before he went into rehab but once I got that space and I joined SR and I've read all the stories and experiences and all the stickies on codependency, and shared my story, I have been able to take a step back and really see things more clearly. I know I still have a lot of work to do on myself but I feel like I have made a lot of progress and this site had been a tremendous amount of help. Thank you everyone that has lent support and shared their experiences with me. I am very grateful to all of you. As of right now I am making the choice to support my fiance but it helps to know that I am able to do it in a healthy way and it helps to know that I now have the strength to detach and remove myself and my children. Thank you all again
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, and it's great to hear that you are working on you.

Sending hugs of support.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha, its ok anvilhead, when I read that I was like "what"? But good analogy