Notices

New here

Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello everyone, im new here and im not sure if i need to completely stop drinking or im being unrealistic in the thought that i can drink socially/minimally. How would i know what is for me? Im causing my relationship to fall apart and i feel like i have no control. I get so irate when i drink and usually blackout, waking up as if things werent that bad. Its sad. Please feel free to offer some words of encouragement or tough love. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome breeziest! You've come to the right place to discuss your issues with alcohol & share how you're feeling. In my case, it took me 30 yrs. to finally admit I had no control once I took that first drink. I tried using willpower so I could 'have a few' but it always failed with dangerous & unpredictable results.

We are so glad you're here - you're not alone in this. Keep talking to us - we're here to give you hope and support.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sounds like drinking alcohol sure isn't enhancing your life by any means.. A lot of us weren't sure about the 'forever' commitment that comes with a lifetime of sobriety. It's good you're thinking about this now.. maybe go a month without any drinks, and assess how you feel as you go through that month.. it might answer some questions you have about whether or not there's a dependency/addiction going on for you.

I wondered too, if I could ever 'control' it.. I proved myself wrong on that idea numerous times with disastrous consequences, it's just less brain damage to go without.. I haven't regretted a sober day since!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Breeziest!!

Only you can decide if you need to stop completely or not. I've had relationships fall apart, drunken rages, absolutely no control over my drinking, multiple blackouts, etc. All the things you mentioned. To me that sounds like alcoholism, but that's just me.

I found I couldn't drink in moderation, I had to stop totally. It is much, much easier that way.

Wishing you the best.

God bless.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by breeziest View Post
Hello everyone, im new here and im not sure if i need to completely stop drinking or im being unrealistic in the thought that i can drink socially/minimally. How would i know what is for me? Im causing my relationship to fall apart and i feel like i have no control. I get so irate when i drink and usually blackout, waking up as if things werent that bad. Its sad. Please feel free to offer some words of encouragement or tough love. Thank you.
I can stay sober or I can get drunk. I can't just have a "couple".

AA has helped me to maintain sobriety for quite a while. I need it on a regular basis. You will know when it's time for you to quit.

All the best.

Bob R.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Test it - take 30 days off and see how you feel (safely - i.e., with doctor's advice - if you've been drinking heavily up until now).
Old 01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here breeziest - sounds like drinkings not really enhancing your life.
SR really helped me work out what I needed to do - I hope we can help you too

Welcome!

D
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

New here also

Hi everyone,

I am new here also...so happy to have found this site! I am looking forward to sharing and i'm definitely in need of the help. Hopefully I will be able to help someone else also.

Butterfly1704