Notices

Preparing to quit

Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Preparing to quit

I've set a quit date for Tuesday 31st. I'm terrified and excited. I've been reading a LOT on this site trying to prepare myself for what is coming, if that is even possible. I am trying to think of all the things I need to get done beforehand like

-make a meal plan for my son that will take minimal effort to prepare
-get OTC meds like Imodium and ibuprofen
-get all my house chores done on Sunday and Monday
-go grocery shopping on Tuesday
-go to N/A meeting Friday, Tuesday
-make a list of what I can do when it gets bad (take walk, post to forums, etc)
-get the handgun out of the house (I'm scared of the depression part)
-rent some movies

Please let me know some suggestions. It all seems so do-able right now, but I'm on pills right now so I know that anything seems do-able.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I have no experience with pills but I want to wish you all the best.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WTF? you have a gun in the same house as a child already? The moderators can ban me for saying that, but it had to be said. Just because it's your right doesn't make it right. Why do you have a handgun in the first place?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pangur View Post
WTF? you have a gun in the same house as a child already? The moderators can ban me for saying that, but it had to be said. Just because it's your right doesn't make it right. Why do you have a handgun in the first place?
Of course I have a gun! I am a single woman with a child and my job is to protect us both. And how dare you so blatantly judge me with your OPINIONS! you are surely in the wrong place for that.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
Of course I have a gun! I am a single woman with a child and my job is to protect us both. And how dare you so blatantly judge me with your OPINIONS! you are surely in the wrong place for that.
Sorry, I truly am sorry for upsetting you. I have a fear of guns, they have a habit of killing people in my country, seen a few corpses in my time in Northern Ireland. It's a good idea to have it out of your home, I agree, I shouldn't judge, especially here. I hope you overcome your addiction and find yourself in a situation where you feel a gun is unnecessary.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry, I truly am sorry for upsetting you. I have a fear of guns, they have a habit of killing people in my country, seen a few corpses in my time in Northern Ireland. It's a good idea to have it out of your home, I agree, I shouldn't judge, especially here. I hope you overcome your addiction and find yourself in a situation where you feel a gun is unnecessary.
AGAIN, this is NOT the place to voice your opinions about guns. Please remove your posts from my thread.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A lot of people have guns in the same house with children with no problems whatsoever. There are a lot of careful and responsible gun owners in the world. I doubt that the moderators will ban you for saying what you said but, no, it really didn't have to be said and, in fact, it shouldn't have been said. And, your strong opinion notwithstanding, having the right to own a gun doesn't make it wrong either. And finally, why someone owns a handgun is, frankly, none of your business.

The original post was about planning to quit drinking; you seem to want to take it way off topic.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi GalFriday. Good for you for having a plan. Maybe it would also help to have a trusted clean person you could call to help take the heat off? Someone who could hang with you, play with your son, take him for a bit?

Best wishes to you!

Last edited by MsJax; 01-25-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: removed a sentence already addressed
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

MsJax: thanks for writing. I've been thinking about that too. I'm going to go to a NA meeting this Friday, and again on Tuesday, and then again if I am able.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll gladly delete, I'm not sure how to. Perhaps the MODs can help. I've already said sorry, I sincerely wish you all the best with your recovery. You came here looking for support and I failed to give it.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish you the best in your recovery.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I just went through wd from hydrocodone. I was clean for 9 days and then took some from friends and family. Do you still have pills in the house? If so, I'd get rid of them bc it is sooooooo tempting! I had minor headaches, some diarhhea, and stomach upset. Nothing too bad and immodium seemed to help a lot! When I knew I was quitting (bc my supply was running out) my intake jumped quite a bit...kind of a last "hurrah".
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Gal you can do it!! I'll be cheering you on.

Keep that computer close by so you can get on here and let us know how you are doing.

God bless.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please stay on topic and respond to the member's original post.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Get some phone numbers from women you meet at the NA meetings and call them!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
Do you still have pills in the house? If so, I'd get rid of them bc it is sooooooo tempting! When I knew I was quitting (bc my supply was running out) my intake jumped quite a bit...kind of a last "hurrah".
Thanks for writing. I already want to increase my intake, just knowing I'm going to stop makes me want to use more now. That is something I never expected, and certainly don't understand it, just know it is what it is. -- I am super nervous about how I will handle the future temptations. I am stealing from another addicted person that I work for every Tuesday (they have unlimited supply). So I cannot quit that job and I will have to control my urge every week. I hope that being clean for a full week (before the next Tuesday comes) will give me the encouragement to resist the temptations. Of course all of this is a lot of just me over-thinking everything to death; that's what I do.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

GalFriday, do you have a friend who you can call on to help you with your son if you need it?

I will be thinking of you, I know how hard Oxi is to detox from. Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing
Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
Get some phone numbers from women you meet at the NA meetings and call them!
Will do.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FoundmySelf View Post
GalFriday, do you have a friend who you can call on to help you with your son if you need it?

I will be thinking of you, I know how hard Oxi is to detox from. Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing

All of my friends have faded away--imagine that. I am now beginning to realize how bad I have isolated myself, and how alone I have become. I hope that will change one day, But one thing at a time, I cannot focus on that yet.
thanks for the post!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

GalFriday, that happened to me, too. I couldn't believe how isolated I was when I finally decided to stop drinking.

On the upside, getting through those first weeks on my own, made me realize that I was stronger than I thought I was and that really helped my motivation.