Notices

Is alcohol a truth serum?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is alcohol a truth serum?

When I drink I tend to get a little mean with my b/f. And he tells me that I say very hurtful things to him, like I don't love him, that our relationship is a mistake. But I DO love him. I try and tell him that but believes that alcohol is like a truth serum, it allows us to open up and say what we really think and feel.
What are your thoughts and experiences? Have you said things that were a total lie like that? Or do do you think it IS more of a truth serum than I am giving it credit for.
*sigh*
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
At very low doses, alcohol removes inhibitions. At the amounts people like us drink, it produces the ramblings and psychosis of a poisoned mind. It is not truth serum.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

In my drinking career I now longer new the truth from a lie. Lies just flew out of me. I lied when I didnt even have to .

I dont do that sober so it just made me a lair nothing to do with truth to me or other people.

Dont drink and you wont say those things to him.

Good love, Inda
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I was mean, too. When I yelled at others, the way I felt about myself was said, but I blamed them. I didn't like me nor feel worthy of love... my personal fears came out, too.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I raved like a lunatic.
It's not a truth serum IMO.

D
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

I think it brings out the mean, hurtful, angry side in a lot of people and they take that anger out by trying to hurt the people they love.
As far as I am concerned it is definitely not a truth serum when this is happening.
Show him that you love him by not drinking and then you will not be saying hurtful things. It will take time to mend the hurt you have caused him.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally think that the only truth that comes out when we drink like we do, is that we are so defeated and want change in our life, that we try to drag the other person down with us. I know that I have been in such a depression, because of my drinking, that I would say things hurtful to my husband so that he would do one of two things - either confirm what I was saying was true (you are only here for the kids, you don't really love me) or that hew would do everything in his power to change my outlook ( I hate my life, I just want to be happy). He confirmed neither. The real truth is that none of these things that were coming from my mouth were true, it was me crying out for help. I just wanted a reaction. I wanted him to force me to change. But see, he knows that it's up to me. I have started that change, and I am so grateful that he looked past those ridiculous statements and didn't pack up and leave me. I am so grateful that he is still around to love me and support me. I am very grateful that I found my way back to aa. I am grateful to wake up today with no worries of last nights words or actions.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

By no means is it a truth serum. Sure, it can turn someone into a blubbering, emotional mess and all of life's trouble come tumbling out. And it can also tap into a very dark, angry and resentful side of someone that results in explosive rage.

Is it the alcohol, or is it the person? I don't know how much is which, but I do know that I'd say and do things while blacked out that I had no control over or no memory of. Things I'd NEVER say or do while sober.

Despite the idea of inhibitions, I'd likely trust my sober self as being my "true" and "genuine" self rather than believe that my drunk self was somehow more "real".
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
What are your thoughts and experiences?
I am not sure it matters what our thoughts and experiences are...it is what you boyfriend is thinking and experiencing. And he thinks that by continuing to drink and verbally abuse him, you don't love him.

Work on your staying sober and this will become a non-issue. Drink and you may find the truth of the situation is that he's tired of tolerating it.

I wish you the best, as recovery has been an ongoing struggle for you.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Alcohol depress brain functioning. While intoxicated a person can have a very hard time determining what is true or false. As depress brain activity is associated with confusion and low cognitive ability. So no, alcohol intoxication as a truth serum is far from the truth.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Midget Cop hit me on the head with that post. I'm a passive agressive perfectionist type A girl who under the influence - I mean DRUNK - becomes a mean, agressive, blubbering idiot. Ugly does not even begin to describe me and my actions. Truth or Consequences? Mine was always unwelcome consequences.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I am not sure it matters what our thoughts and experiences are...it is what you boyfriend is thinking and experiencing. And he thinks that by continuing to drink and verbally abuse him, you don't love him.

Work on your staying sober and this will become a non-issue. Drink and you may find the truth of the situation is that he's tired of tolerating it.

I wish you the best, as recovery has been an ongoing struggle for you.
Well actually, it does matter what other alcoholics have experienced, thought or felt! That is what a forum is, people sharing and talking about how it was for them. Makes us feel not so alone in this very very lonely disease. And yes, I have been struggling for a while, but don't we all struggle before we find sobriety?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm bitter, sarcastic, very angry and abusive when I've been drinking. I never know what I'll say or do. My boyfriend has stuck around because he knows that sober I would never say or do the things I do while intoxicated on booze.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Truth serum? Heck no, all that stuff ever did was make me crazy, and my poor distorted brain came out with all sorts of lies and fabrications.

God forbid anyone should have believed a word I said when I was drunk.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Not in my experience.

Regular drinking gave me a rather skewed view of the world that was beginning to lead to near-psychotic episodes, paranoia and delusions. Now that I'm sober my view of the world is much more based in reality.

Rather than alcohol causing me to be more honest with others it made me distrust others and become defensive towards those trying to help me.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree w terminally unique...it can definitely set off a psychotic rage or something like that. I used to get that way too and honestly, I believe it's because I had a lot of pent up anger from my past that may have had nothing to do w the current situation/person. I know my anger is still there but trying to work it out sober. BTW, my drunken rages are what I think about when I consider stopping at the liquor store
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No.

If anything, it's an unacceptable behavior serum. For alcoholics and non-alcoholics alike.

But a truth serum? No.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great question, most of society thinks it is a "window to the soul" etc. But in my opinion, it's utter nonsense. Even if the drunk me was the real me, I would prefer to live a lie sober from now on.
There are a lot of old proverbs relating to people not keeping secrets when intoxicated, that's of some relevance. As for being the "real you"? nope.