step one

Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

step one

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol ~ that our lives had become unmanageable. I AM POWERLESS OVER ALCOHOL, MY LIFE HAS BECOME A MESS FROM MY OWN BEHAVIOR IN ALL THIS.

Do I accept that I cannot control another person’s drinking? Another person’s behavior? I CANNOT CONTROL HIS DRINKING, HIS BEHAVIOR. ALL I CAN CONTROL IS MYSELF

How do I recognize that the alcoholic is an individual with habits, characteristics and ways of reacting to daily happenings that are different from mine? I REACT WITH LIFE DAILY STRESSES BY WORRYING AND TRYING TO FIND A SOLUTION TO EVERY ISSUE.

Do I accept that alcoholism is a disease? How does that change how I deal with a drinker? YES, I HAVE I DONT UNDERSTAND IT. I AM DOING MY BEST TO KEEP FROM FIGHTING WITH AN IRRATIONAL PERSON, I TALK TO HIM THE NEXT MORNING WHEN HE IS OF A BETTER SOUND MIND.

How have I tried to change others in my life? What were the consequences? I HAVE CHANGED SO MUCH I DONT KNOW WHAT PARTS I HAVE CHANGED FOR HIS DRINKING HABITS WHAT WAS HIS WORK SCHEDUAL OR OUT AT THE BAR OR HITTING SHOOTERS IN THE MINI MART PARKING LOT HABIT. NOT GOOD

What means have I used to get what I want and need? What might work better to get my needs met? I HAVE WORKED AND SAVED AND LIED TO KEEP MONEY I HAVE TRIED TO GUILT HIM, I HAVE TALKED TO HIM ABOUT THE REALITY OF IF YOU SPEND ALL THIS WE DONT GET ALL THAT WE WANT

How do I feel when the alcoholic refuses to be and do what I want? How do I respond?
I GET UPSET, I CRY
What would happen if I stopped trying to change the alcoholic or anyone else?
I DONT KNOW
How can I let go of others’ problems instead of trying to solve them?
I CAN TRY TO JUST WORK ON MY LIFE
Am I looking for a quick fix to my problems? Is there one?
NO I AM LOOKING FOR LONG TERM I KNOW THERE ARE A FEW I DONT WANT TO RAISE MY DAUGHER IN THE BROKEN FAMILY
In what situations do I feel excessive responsibility for other people?
OUR HOME LIFE I AM THE ONLY RESPONSIBLE PERSON
In what situations do I feel shame or embarrassment for someone else’s behavior?
WHEN IT EFFECTS ALL ASPECTS, DINNER WITH OUR PARENT AT XMAS AND HE WAS HALF IN THE BAG AND FORGOT WHAT WE TALKED ABOUT IN A 2 MIN DRIVE AND WENT OFF ON ME
What brought me to Al-Anon? What did I hope to gain at that time? How have my expectations changed?
THIS IS MY FIRST THOUGHTS INTO THE ALANON
Who has expressed concern about my behavior? My health? My children? Give examples.
MY MOM KNOWS I AM STRESSING OUT UNHAPPY AND I CANT BE A GOOD HAPPY PARENT WHEN I AM THAT
How do I know when my life is unmanageable?
I CANT GET THE HOUSE CLEAN, I AM ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT WHAT HE IS DOING

How have I sought approval and affirmation from others?
NO
Do I say “yes” when I want to say “no”? What happens to my ability to manage my life when I do this?
I HAVE TO HIM CUZ HE THROW TANTRUMS
Do I take care of others easily, but find it difficult to care for myself?
How do I feel when life is going smoothly? Do I continually anticipate problems? Do I feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
I AM A CAREPERSON YES BUT NO LIFE IS TO HECKTIC IN A CRISIS
How well do I take care of myself?
I TRY MY BEST
How do I feel when I am alone?
I FEEL BETTER WHEN HE IS A DRUNK JERK IF I AM HOME ALONE
What is the difference between pity and love?
PITTY IS FEELING SORRY FOR SOMEONE, LOVE IS MORE A UNCONDITIONAL
Am I attracted to alcoholics and other people who seem to need me to fix them? How have I tried to fix them?
I HOPE NOT

Do I trust my own feelings? Do I know what they are?
YES, YES
Questions from Paths To Recovery, Al-Anon’s Steps, Traditions and Concepts ©1997

Feel free to start your own thread to discuss your experience with the concepts etc in Step 1.