Hard to let go

Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard to let go

I went to a my sister's today for lunch and all her adult children, spouses and grandkids were there. I had to walk out at one point, go outside and have a good cry. It still hurts so much to see them together, knowing I can't have this right now. Have any of you dealt with this and does this get easier?

I'm still in the process of selling my home. Getting an appraisal done tomorrow. The house isn't that hard to let go of....the hard part is letting my adult children go out in the world, although I realize this is way, way past due. I need to let them grow up, which they will never do under my wings.

I began seeing a new therapist last week and will see her weekly to help me through this process. I have some good days where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes, I need to leave my house because I begin the thoughts of how I can stop this process from happening (controlling??). I'm still scared and fearful of the future, but I try to keep the focus on today.

A lot of times, I feel that God himself has abandoned me, but I keep on praying. Over the years, I had become spiritually bankrupt and really seeking my Higher Power (God in my book).

Thanks for listening and sharing, Hope
Old 01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand Hope. You are further along than I am, and I know that must be hard for you. Scary, unfamiliar, and really tough for you. I am glad that you have a therapist, and I probably would benefit from one too. my adult son is here in my home, not really living a life that will get him anywhere, tho he claims to be looking for work, I know that he is not trying like he would if he had a real need to.

Keep that serenity prayer in your pocket. I know that feeling of being abandoned by God, too. Seems like I am wishing that he would take this out of my hands. I dont understand why it comes down to putting my son out to be homeless, since his bridges are burned. but, i have to remind myself of what i would do , if it were me. My son could be so much less selfish, and make things better for his self . he is gonna need a wakeup and it wont happen with me, i dont think.
you are doing the right things, just be strong. what would they do if you were not around? they would manage, most likely, right? if they are like my son, they are taking advantage of you, and that just is not right at all.
saying a prayer for you, and your children, for things to fall into place, as you take those frightening steps out, in faith, or at least, do it as if you had faith, as they say.
keep posting, we are here ,
hugs
chicory
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh yes i know that feeling too hope, i see happy families and get togethers and im left thinking,what???, how is my family life so screwed up ????, how did i get here, this letting go stuff is possibly one of that hardest things i have accepted that needs to be done. Im taking little steps ,, try to stay strong i think its about time we looked after our own peace of mind instead of catering to everyone elses whims and wishes , sheltering, teaching, guiding, scolding them, im so tired of it all
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Let Go My Child

As children bring their broken toys
With tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because He is my friend.

But then instead of leaving Him
In peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help
in ways that were my own.