Notices

I used last night, but wasn't surprised

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I used last night, but wasn't surprised

Our family went over to a friends' house last night for dinner. I had a terrific time and didn't drink. My husband and the other couple did, but I didn't feel the need. On their counter was a perscription bottle and it was hydrocodone. I eneded up stealing some. I popped 5 right then and there, which is more then I was taking at one time. Came home and puked my guts outs. I didn't even enjoy the pills. How embarassing if I got caught? I am not surprised I did this though, bc the past few days I wondered to myself if they would have pills somewhere...just didn't know they would be right out in the open. Had I drank I would have felt guilty, but with the pills I only feel guilty in the way in which I got them. I can't tell my husband, he would be so pissed at me.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya aeo

Sorry, what are the pills meant to do?

Did you have a pill problem before, sorry I am a little confused.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that happened.

You're not asking for advice, but, I think you should come clean to the friends you took the pills from. It's stealing and you could be in trouble.

I hope you feel better.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

The pills are an opiate (generic for vicodin). The pills are why I started in therapy 5 weeks ago. Drinking is also a problem, and I often combined the two which can have very bad effects. Anyway...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you were in that position and that you chose to pick up and use. I think you should tell your husband and friends. If we are not accountable for our actions, then why should we change our behaviors?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Honesty is the cornerstone of my recovery. I personally would come clean about it, and work on the reasons behind my actions with my therapist/sponsor.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was using, I would steal drugs from others too. Horrible guilt over that. It's amazing how fast my morals would take a back seat to the urge to use.

Sounds like you had it all planned out though. I remember doing that. Next time plan out how you are not going to steal. There is alot less guilt associated with that.

God bless.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do agree with the previous posts. Honesty is the best policy.

You don't want to carry around that guilt. It might be hard to come forward about taking the pills, but in the long run I think you might feel some relief.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

aeo, I'm sorry you were in that position. my DOC is the same as yours and i, too, would not trust myself with a bottle of pills. it's quite amazing (terrible) what this damn disease will lead us to do...good people who never would think of stealing suddenly lose control, right?

I say give yourself some time, then think about how best to make amends. are you in NA?
One bright thing- you didn't drink. Give yourself a pat on the back for that at least.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Why did you take them? Why did you steal them, and then why did you swallow them.

This is a serious question, and one I think might need to be answered, to yourself, before you can make any headway in recovery.

Some people may answer with a simple "because you're an addict". I just feel like that answer was never, IS never enough for me to progress.

Once I start using, then I do pretty much lose control, so I need to figure out why I use in the first place, when I DO have a choice.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
a southern belle

Hey sweetie...don't ya reckon they'll be missed? Personally, I would rather come clean and admit my fall to temptation. Five pills are a pretty good quantity to just misplace. I would prefer salvaging a thread of honesty vs. skulking around people I care about knowing they care about me. Good luck...mags
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel your pain as I think I would have probably done the same as you if it was cocaine -luckly I have not had my DOC put in front of me yet.

Its a good sign that you feel guilty as you know what you did was wrong - its probably best to tell your husband as he will be able to help you in future situations should tempation arise.