addicted behaviour(s)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Lightbulb addicted behaviour(s)

to start, i am not an alcoholic...but my personality has an addicted behaviours to such....(watch *****, shoe *****...and even compulsive...)

its been a depressive and lonely time this week...

what would be your take on the "drink"?....
Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When RABF would binge, he would act a lot like one of his grandmothers who has suffered a stroke and has dementia. Examples are not remembering things, asking the same question over and over...drunk behavior.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
to start, i am not an alcoholic...but my personality has an addicted behaviours to such....(watch *****, shoe *****...and even compulsive...)

its been a depressive and lonely time this week...

what would be your take on the "drink"?....
I'm not sure I understand your post, fourmaggie. The first paragraph is confusing me. Are you okay?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

fourmaggie,

Don't really know where you are coming from here, but if you would like to talk you can send me a message, otherwise I can offer you a big bear hug and a shoulder to lean on.

Please hang in there, I have been down low many times over the years but it has always gotten better....
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I'm understanding you correctly...you're asking if any of us non-alcoholics have behavior patterns similar to an alcoholics? Such as addictions, compulsions etc?

Hrmm.

I'd have to say I'm probably prone to repression and I'm addicted to things that make me laugh.

The repression part I have no idea what to do about yet. Not even sure why/if I do tend that way yet.

The humor and laughter part isn't so bad. I just need to keep it to funny books, funny movies etc. Laugh at my dog when she tries to grin; it makes her look like shes got peanut butter stuck in her mouth and shes trying to get it out. SHE thinks it makes her look adorable though! There are alot of things that can bring humor into our lives if we remember to see them.

The kind I need to avoid is the kind of laughter that brought me together with my hubby. He always felt free to do things that I never have felt free to. Even when he appalled me at times, there was still humor there. He brought alot of laughter into my life when I was younger and I think I needed that at the time. But it wasn't a good way to laugh; so the laughter died.

For the rest of 'me'...I have no idea. My family members probably have many ideas on the issue though.

I'd like to send some laughter your way......?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Could you be more specific, I cannot follow your train of thought.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Four maggie,

I love to get your friend messages on my board. (I dont get many)

I have been lonely and depressed this week too.

Hope you are better soon.

Beth
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isollae View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly...you're asking if any of us non-alcoholics have behavior patterns similar to an alcoholics? Such as addictions, compulsions etc?
This is how I understood it as well. I can show addictive tendencies about video games, big time. I absolutely refused to get involved with Worlds of Warcraft because I'm pretty sure I would never leave the house if I played it.

I also can get obsessed with crafting sometimes, especially a big project. I get started and just won't want to stop until the project is completed. I've caused some pretty good damage to my wrist because of this.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, you want to know what addictive behaviors non-alcoholics/addicts can have? I thought you were asking about examples of addictive behaviors.

Well, I am addicted to the Internet. RABF sometimes has to take away my iPhone and iPad so that I can stop procrastinating on the Internet and actually get stuff done. I'm learning to moderate.

Unlike drugs/alcohol, you can't just quit the Internet for good.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

yes been very low alot lately...too much i guess since Xmas...its been a rough few weeks...two funerals, one my Aunt and another a dear friend(old timer, and good neighbour) passed away, and well he helped me alot with my "free" time after hubby died 9 years ago...

to top it off, doctor has put me on half of my medication a day...1/2 a pill instead of a full one...and to say the lest, i think i am hidding down the spiral before i started my anti-depressants...i had one fellow say..."he if you cant do it, you cant do it..plain in simple if they help you ...they help you, don't be that super woman!"... and well, maybe he is right....

I also feel that i give out all my support to friends and family around me, and well, when i do raise a hand, they run away.....

and also the al anon meetings in the mornings (which is the worse time for me) is only twice aweek....

just been tough...so glad some of you noticed that i am raising my hand and saying..."hello? can i talk for once...."
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

fourmaggie,

So sorry I did not understand your first post, please come in anytime and vent away, if you need a hug or some props don't hesitate to ask.

Changing meds is really tough, I rolled over from Prozac to Cymbalta about 3 months ago and it was really a struggle, please come back often and let us know how you are doing, now is not the time to go incommunicado, if you are leaving for Fiji just tell us so we can all be jealous and wait for the postcard

Best of luck,

Bill
Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This time of year is hard. I eat. Comfort food. And sleep a lot. And I hope you'll find with me that it gets easier when we're moving out if winter and darkness. Hugs.