Notices

Alcohol in food!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol in food!

I just ate pasta with a vodka sauce. I've always been told the alcohol cooks out of food but I wonder... do other alcoholics eat foods with alcohol?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

here's my usual list

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

D
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I put away enough vodka in the past, usually minus the pasta. Not interested in more-even with pasta.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

double
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not sure there is always vodka in vodka sauce...it depends where it was made and who made it.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh good point ... I love red wine jus with steak or beef ... must make sure it doesnt have an actual alcohol content in it
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Drink tea

I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve. My own goal is to stop drinking alcohol because one glass of the stuff leads to a fierce desire for more. I haven't noticed an urge to drink after a plate of beef bourguignon.
Other people are trying to live a sober life and accumulate chips so it would be a complete no-no.

Not trying to poke fun at AA, just a nod towards another thread.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

haha .. I actually laughed after reading your post .. you're right ... if I have some red wine jus (basically gravy) Im not gonna want to drink myself into oblivion ...

sometimes this early (day 20) i obsess too much about the avoiding alcohol factor rather than the why I am stopping my actions of bad drinking
Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to respect other points of view, even if we don't share them.

My recovery's very important to me.
For me watching what I eat is as important as watching what I drink.

I'm not in AA.

D
Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I most certainly Do respect all views dee .. just think hearing both sides made me realise that in my journey I am probably obsessing a little right now and was laughing at ME and my sudden panic reaction certainly not any1 else ... xxx
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I know that REAL vodka sauce, that you make yourself at home, has actual vodka in it and doesn't cook very long. Probably not a good choice.....

I am not so sure that the stuff you buy at the grocery store does, though. It may be just a creamy red sauce. The label should say.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On Christmas I stayed away from this Brie cheese appetizer my cousin made because it had some kind of booze in it, brandy I think, it had been cooked but I didn't want to take any chances. I probably had nothing to worry about but to me it's just an exercise in being vigilant about our disease. This thing is powerful, speaking for myself, I don't want to risk having the taste of any kind of booze in my mouth, alcohol burned off or not.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have had foods with alcohol and I did not feel a compulsion to drink after, or the need to reset my sobriety date.

That said, I don't seek foods out that contain alcohol. If there are other choices I will elect one that does not contain alcohol.

And if it is a food that does contain alcohol and was not cooked at all or not for very long I would not take the chance, even if there isn't another choice. I absolutely believe in the alergy component of my disease.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

This may sound silly, but I never liked the taste of alcohol. Drinking for me was for effect only. So avoiding food with alcohol is not difficult, I just don't like it. I remember after I had a few 24 hrs, I bought some vanilla to make cookies, it was the real stuff and it contained alcohol. Once I opened it, the smell of alcohol almost made me hurl, I dumped it out and bought imitation. I just can't stomach even the smell. I suppose it has a lot to do with my fear of going back to what I was bafore I quit drinking.

Cathy
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

To be honest, I don't really pay much attention. I think I would avoid foods that have a boozey flavor because the taste would make me sick, and I definitely won't be cooking with alcohol ever again since I can't keep it around the house, but if I'm at a restaurant or whatever I don't pay it much mind. I understand why someone would want to avoid it though.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's important to respect other points of view, even if we don't share them.

My recovery's very important to me.
For me watching what I eat is as important as watching what I drink.

I'm not in AA.

D
Was thinkin this before I saw this post. For me it's important to stay away from alcohol, even in food. I try for total abstinence from alcohol. Now...if I accidentally had a very small amount in a food, I wouldn't freak. Still, I wouldn't intentionally go for it either.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

doesnt make me want to drink. I had berries soaked in alcohol for christmas day. Didnt even realise until i had eaten it. It made me a little giggly but that could have been the sugar in the accompanyying cake :P
I am only aiming to avoid ANY alcohol at the moment because my liver function test had abnormal results. When it (if it is) back to normal i doubt i would hesitate having alcohol in food.. alcohol on its own however is another story.