Notices

Fellow extremists??

Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fellow extremists??

Hey all...was wondering if anyone else has or is going thru what I am...I'm almost 2 weeks in and have replaced drinking with running. I use the word "replace" because when I get the crave I run it off and it goes away. My therapist told me tonight to tone it down and try to do more relaxing workouts such as pilates (she's concerned about my weight). But I can't help it, I almost NEED to do it after work. I know this is just another addictive behavior in a way but it's better than coming home and downing a bottle of wine. And I am still not sleeping, even after running almost 3 miles a day. I guess my system is all out of whack still. Anyone experienced this? I am coming to see that addictive behavior (at least mine) stems way beyond alcohol. HAH, epiphany moment, not. Looking back over the past 10 years of my life I'm either super healthy or engaging in risky behavior. Oh how to find a balance?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm the same way; very on-or-off and extreme. I am trying to find balance, self-love, and patience and acceptance with myself and the world/people around me. It's very hard. But I think it's part of recovery. Best wishes.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people on this forum will agree that exercise has helped with the cravings. I know when I work out I am less likely to crave alcohol. I say run.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Add yoga. Your brain is healing. Alcohol changed the sleep cycle; it will return. Give time time and heal well! Make sure you eat healthy foods, slow down bright lights (tv, phone, computer) an hour or more before sleeping. You can stay stopped!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I have always, always searched for balance. I actually have the word for the buddhist concept of balance/equanimity tattooed on my wrist lol Could have just put it on a post-it note as a reminder, but being an extremist it made sense to go ahead and commit in ink What's gotten me closest to any sort of real balance is reading and learning about Buddhism, most specifically the concepts of impermanence, non-attachment, and mindfulness. Huge for me! Created a whole shift in how I view my addictive behaviors and how to stop them. To your OP, it's still very early yet and yes I do think your body is still adjusting. Good on you for 2 weeks!!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think a lot of us have very addictive personalities. I've also replaced drinking with running...it was -10 degrees windchill this morning and I had an urge to run a few miles. It felt satisfying but I thought my feet and hands were going to freeze/fall off.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey dataminer I went to walmart last night myself just to get out of my own head and browse. Strange, I usually hate that place.

I've started running too. About a mile to 1.5 miles. Trying to go easy, but it does make me feel pretty good.

God bless.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember the 12 Promises of A.A..... All will be well.

"The Promises"
From the Book ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Chapter 6 - "INTO ACTION" (Page 86)

.....If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

1. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness,

2. We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it,

3. We will comprehend the word serenity,

4. And we will know peace.

5. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

6. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

7. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain insight into our fellows.

8. Self-seeking will slip away.

9. Our whole attitude and outlook will change.

10. Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.

11. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

12. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for outselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.....
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally understand the need to run. I left rehab in June and stayed clean for 6 months. I ended up running first marathon in November. I was drunk 2 hours after finishing race. 2 month relapse and now on day 3
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

QFM 79,

As an older guy, I really admire folks who realize what a gift they're blessed with to be able to run. The (relatively) immediate health benefits of permanant abstinance can sometimes be overshadowed by poor diet choices in early sobriety. IMHO

It took me months to finally recognize any negative effects "so called foods"were having. They were so very subtle compared to getting wasted.

By drinking like I did, I'd lost most any ability to "listen" to my body. That took some serious time. Reading about dietary fitness gave me a few clues, initially

but actually experiencing improved fitness is key.

Anyway, unless I'm missing something; .....I usually take a dim view of the "replacing addiction" theory when it comes to a solid plan to persue fitness.

Now, .....if it's nothing but obsessive thoughts on "so called foods" that you already know aren't toogood for your health (at the very least); .....The replacement addiction thinking seems (at least) a little true.

How about all the common faulty thinking actually making your abstinance contingent on working out !?!

"oh,I've lost __ lbs" or "I'm injured from training"......"my as well drink"
"Oh, I finally completed my first marathon. Now I'll have a few."

The list goes on and on ad infinitum.
All more addictive voice with it's one goal, .....to get back to drinking.

I say, if running helps your overall mental and physical fitness !?
Go For It !!!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

QFM79 I say go for it. I was a sporadic runner before sobriety, and am a sporadic runner after. But that is unusual for me because I have always embraced the concept "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

However, since my recovery began, I too have been using Soberlicious suggestion of incorporating Buddhist principles, and attaining a much better balance in my life.

I also agree with topspin that diet is really important. And now eating real food will do your exercising body a world of good.

Congratulations on two weeks sober!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your helpful posts!! I have bee eating healthy foods, taking vites, etc. I don't feel I am overdoing it with the running as I have always exercised...maybe now just doing it more I can understand my therapists concern...she's trying to help me "calm" my system but in getting to that point I believe a little sweat goes a long way haha. I will continue with my regimen and pray for some good sleep soon. Thanks again guys, have a great day!!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Yes, I replaced drinking with exercise. I started working out like six hours a day seven days a week. Three hours in the morning and three hours at night. I worked out so hard that I started experiencing muscle fatigue to the point of which I fell into a depression the days I couldnt work out because my body was so much pain. I went through gym withdrawals and the days I couldnt work out I used alcohol to fill that void. I lost motivation and I lost muscle and gained weight. I was so proud of my body and now I feel awful. Now I am abstaining from drinking I can see myself getting addicted to working out again. Its all or nothing for me. Even my instructors would lecture me all the time for over exercising but I never listened lol.

Just be careful. Despite having an exercise addiction I am a personal trainer and should no better but over exercising can lead to depression, torn and sprained muscles, irritablity, and insomnia. Take it easy your muscles need a rest to recover too
Old 01-19-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Resident

Like a lot of the other posters here exercise is the key to my recovery.
It is that whole Yin and Yang thing.
A lot of people here post about their exercise regime in the fitness section in the kicking asphalt section.
I am not a runner but a lot of them are. You should check it out. Interesting reading.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish I could run, but can't. Bum knees that I was born with. It's okay though I can still exercise on the elliptical machine, I can swim, and I can walk fast.
Still though, I get you on the addictive behaviour. I too tend to start up addictive behaviour when I'm not drinking. I massively attempt to control my eating, exercise and all when I'm not drinking. I guess it's good in a way as I eat very healthy now and I love getting to the gym but it's not good in how I control everything.
Still though, I'd keep up with it. At least its not drinking!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't exercise much when I was drinking. Now I exercise several times a week. It's great for stress reduction and I consider it part of my "program."