The shrapnel of addiction

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The shrapnel of addiction

Addiction is a family disease. It's like a bomb that you never expect to go off in your family. The shrapnel from the addict hits everyone who is near to them. Family members. Friends. Co-Workers. It tears through those people without warning. But the saddest victims of the shrapnel of addiction are children.

Children have absolutely no control over anything. The addict does his/her thing which can involve behaviors that vary between lying, absence, neglect, poor role modeling and sometimes....violence. The addict in a child's life is unpredictable, undependable.....and when the addict is their parent......this leaves a child so confused and scared.

When there is a sober parent in the child's life, that certainly helps but unfortunately, that parent is also being hit by the shrapnel of the addict. And the reactions of that parent to the flying debris can also be confusing and damaging to the child.

It's all so sad. And the addict says "but I'm not hurting anyone".

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How right you are. It pains me when I read and hear of sober parents who resolve to stay with the alcoholic/drug addict for various reasons thinking they can shield their children from that shrapnel, thinking they will REMAIN the healthy parent they are at the moment, thinking that because their addicted spouse is "a fabulous parent when they are sober" neutralizes the shrapnel damage.

Hopefully your post will be a catalyst that saves another child from growing up with active addiction.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Thank you for posting this valuable reminder KE.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
When there is a sober parent in the child's life, that certainly helps but unfortunately, that parent is also being hit by the shrapnel of the addict. And the reactions of that parent to the flying debris can also be confusing and damaging to the child.

It's all so sad. And the addict says "but I'm not hurting anyone".

gentle hugs
ke
So true. Thank you for posting this reminder. I am embarrassed to say I was a parent caught in this flying debris. I thought by keeping the family unit together regardless if he was using and trying to maintain normalcy I was doing right by my children. Boy was I wrong. But it took working my program and recovery to realize this. It took me being sick and tired of being sick and tired and removing my AH from the home that I found peace and serenity.

Thank you for posting this reminder.

Marlene
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

This is a wonderful reminder ~

As a survivor of a 17 plus year marriage with an addict ~ I know that I did grave damage to my daughters by staying in that marriage ~ I thought I was doing the right thing, shielding them from the damage, protecting them for the most part but I did not.
I failed them.

I did manage to show them as young women HOW TO WALK AWAY ~ How to regain your life, dignity and self-respect, I have made a verbal amends and an action amends by doing things DIFFERENTLY now ~ and I pray constantly that they will some day make healthier choices in their lives too.

Today Mr. PINK & I raise, shelter and try to instill healthy skills in a 7 yr old granddaughter that has an addict father ~ She has limited contact with him, but she is still greatly affected by his actions, behaviors and lack of responsibility.

I can only pray that the skills of this program, the love of her HP and her willingness to be open to our love and guidance will help her to heal from the shrapnel of his addiction. . .

Prayers and Sweet gentle PINK HUGS for all the precious little ones affected by the disease of addiction. . .

Rita
Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a profound way of describing the effects of addiction on our lives. Thank you.

My therapist likens it to being poisoned. I often have felt I ate of the poisoned apple and have yet to be released from the spell.

But the shrapnel imagery is so effective because addicts hurt people--and especially children and children do not have to have long exposure to an active addict for this to occur--addicts hurt people in a way that implants in them a deadly piece of trauma that may lie dormant for years but.....when a new addict enters the life, that dormant piece of shrapnel can shift and the pain and the reactive behaviors are back full force.

This is why anyone who has ever been involved with an active addict needs treatment. Treatment through a 12 step group or counseling or any offering from people who thoroughly understand the POST-trauma that flares when an addict--active or recovering--comes into one's life again.

And usually...almost always....one will. We attract to us people and circumstances which reawaken old wounds which need cleaning out. I think all psychologists would confirm that. The old wounds need cleaning out because they continue to influence the choices we make about who to love, who to bring into our personal lives, how we parent. And the old wounds deeply, unconsciously, influence how we feel about ourselves.

I have been purging shrapnel for quite a while. Not done yet.

Thank you again for the insight.