Notices

trying to let it go...

Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to let it go...

So I have been trying to drop my affair with red wine .
As much as I love it, I think I prefer my family more.
I have a 6 year old son and a husband.
I have had a habit of a glass of wine after work.
That glass turned into two and then it became the bottle.
Then after that bottle sometimes I would start another bottle.

I always drank a bit of wine from time to time but it really ramped up after my son was born.
I work full time--it was never an option to stay home with him as we need the income, insurance, etc form my job.

Anyway long story short I am sick of it and trying to have more and more alcohol free days.

I know this will be easier if I can take a break sometimes at night.
It has not been possible since my husband was a. depressed for a year and then b. taking classes at night and now c. working late basically every night.

I need him to come home at night and help take care of our son so that I can get off alcohol seriously.
I know I have the strength but I also know I need to work out a lot to detox myself and be in my body in the way that works for me.

arrgghh.

Been going one or two days in a row without the wine.
Now I want to do a week, two weeks, a month, maybe a lifetime.

thanks for listening.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cat, you are on the right path! You've come to the right place. You'll receive lots of support here!

For me, I quit alcohol CT after increasingly becoming more and more out of control. One night my (then) 8 year old daughter had to see me barfing from drinking too much. I quit the next day. You can do it too.

For me, the turning point was when the consequences from my drinking outweighed the "benefits" (ha!) I got from it. I could clearly see that the consequences outweighed so it was relatively easy for me to quit. Now, I did lapse into a couple episodes of "I think i can be a normal drinker..." after 6 years...only to see how stupid that was. I will never drink normally and I know it!

Good luck- I'm proud of you!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

You are definitely on the right track.
The only regret I have from drinking is not looking after my family as well as I could and not spending the quality time with my kids that they deserved because I was hungover or busy anticipating drinking.
Kids do notice so if you can change now you will not have this regret when your son is grown up and you miss those fun times that you didn't have because you were a drinker.
Good luck. Make a plan and work it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow cat, Kind of sounds like me, but after a bit of the wine I started switching to the harder stuff.
You're at the right place!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

back here and trying again after 6 months...

Hi
I wanted to stop in January.
I did for a while and then returned to beer, wine, etc.
Well I was "cutting back" but last night I got upset and drank a whole bottle.

Hope I can get off this rollercoaster.

New goal: go through a week without drinking.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is tough, sometimes

At first in my younger years it was fun....... Now that I am older, It hurts.
I never had a problem stopping before, fun six pack in the afternoon, but now, I am doomed after the first sip.

I just relapsed for 3 days. I joined AA at the beginning of the year, and I do pretty good, going to meetings all week and then just like that, something makes me upset or nervous, and I fall back in.

I know better, But this is the Cunning and Baffling part of Alcoholism.

I think my husband is going to divorce me.

I missed my meeting today, as I am ill, and very upset for falling off and have not heard from my husband in days.

I joined today, to have a Back up plan, in case I miss a meeting.

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just worry about 1 day at time., thinking about a day or week ahead always created anxiety for me which in turn led to drinking....
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cat2011 View Post
As much as I love it, I think I prefer my family more.
I also have a six year old (and four year old) and a red wine problem. I came to the same conclusion as you - family is more important.

This site has been very helpful. I hope you find the support you are looking for!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back, cat -

I know how it feels to try to do it all. I felt like I deserved that bottle of wine - it was the only time I wasn't thinking about all the stress. Of course, I was putting more stress on myself by drinking - life just got harder and harder, waking up with anxiety and a hangover every morning.

I finally decided to "just do it." I was scared, but sitting around thinking about getting sober wasn't getting me anywhere - it was only making it worse.

I'm glad you're back - hang in there!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have two almost 6 yr olds. I love my wine and a good craft beer. It's 11 days for me. The first few were the hardest. It DOES get easier.

Welcome
Old 07-19-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome back, cat. don't worry about the week. tomorrow will sort itself out as will the other days. work on what you can do about your life today. today, you will not drink. now repeat all that every day. work on your life today and today i will not drink. also, be careful about giving yourself deadlines. "go a week without drinking." well, what happens on Day 8? that's what happens when you start looking too far ahead. i did that at first. make it a month. as my first month was drawing to a close i started planning my little "woohoo! i've been sober for a month! break out the booze!" party for myself. well...isn't that precious? how happy i was to dive right back into the mouth of The Beast. work on today, cat. you can do that. you can always do that!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Cat
Check in regularly - this place really helped me get through week one...then week two...and so on.

welcome to you too bobsfriend

D