OT: Lunacy

Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry OT: Lunacy

My best friend is in a emotionally abusive relationship and codependent. I refuse to support her by feeding her lies that the way she is being treated is OK and that things will get better.

I have voiced that I don't know how to help her/support her until she really wants to hear what I have to say. Until then, there is nothing that will change her mind. She has to want to the change, right?

Ok, so when I voice these things to the small group of friends who are closest to the lady in the abusive relationship I get ignored. Nobody acknowledges what I said, because they don't like it. Denial. It's simple denial and it makes me feel like a lunatic.

I'm exhausted. The continual denial makes me start to question my sanity.
I would like some outside perspective. I'm obviously too entwined in the drama and hurt feelings to be objective.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well what I have found is I CANNOT FIX anyone else.

I can say it once and I am done. If I have to say something more than once, the person is NOT ready to hear, they are still in denial and I am wasting my breathe.

So you have shared, they are still in denial, now it is time to change the subject.

When the person in trouble comes crying, it is best to say "I cannot help you, I am sorry."

Ideally that person would leave and get their butt to the nearest DV Shelter, but she is still in denial.

I work mostly with those that are 'ready' for help, be they newly sober alkies, newly clean addicts, or someone just coming into recovery for codependency.

I am sorry but it does sound like for your own peace and serenity, it is time to step back from the 'drama' of this group.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know the old saying "you can't fix stupid" well that applies here, I agree with Laurie, you are just going to have to step back. Nobody wants to hear the truth, they are not ready to deal with it. Keep a close eye out, be ready to step in and call 911, I do not believe there is anything else you can do until she pulls her head out of her butt.

I know it is incredibly hard to step back, my therapist is trying to drum this into my head where my parents are concerned, I know she is right, I have fought against their denial for years.

God bless you for trying, but at some point they have got to fight their own battles.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I felt similar things when tried to "convince" XABF's friends he had issues. LOL.

I found new people to talk to....

No contact/limited contact is advisable.. I mean, if you are refusing to spend energy with people in denial, it extends to these friends as well... very frustrating I know...

Hugs cb12!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read on SR, probably 6 months ago, that people don't like it when you start and stick to recovery for codependency. Just wanted to say, I agree.

The friends mentioned above are having a really hard time adjusting to the "new" Claire. I think it might be time to move on. This saddens me because we have been through almost 10 years of friendship.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cb12 View Post
The friends mentioned above are having a really hard time adjusting to the "new" Claire. I think it might be time to move on. This saddens me because we have been through almost 10 years of friendship.
This may be true. I've had some great friendships over the years that didn't last for one reason or another - usually related to what point I was at in my life. But it may also be a time issue. Give it some more time and see what happens. And stick to your boundaries!

In situations like these, I like to say something to the effect of "I am here to support you but I can't condone (fill in the blank) nor deny (said blank)." What anyone else does with that is their problem.