Notices

Okay so now I'm fat.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay so now I'm fat.

Kiss my ___ DH! I wanted to get some skittles tonight (yes, I've craved sugar since not drinking). BUT Believe it or not I haven't gained any weight. So tonight my lovely spouse says, "I'm trying to help you" when I asked him to get skittles if he went to the store - he said no first of course.

You know, this doesn't really help our relationship. I am healthy. I'm not a twig but I'm not obese. Could I lose 20lbs, of course. But do I need that kind of interaction? It reminds me of my mom and dad and my grandma and grandpa.

For the love of god I quit drinking. Does this now mean I quit doing everything else he does't like and I believe I told you all about the list he gave me a while back of what he wanted me to look like and do. Wonder if I should give him a list? NO I wouldn't do that to ANYONE!

If he wants to completely change me maybe he needs to go find the image of the person he wants in his head and leave me the ___ alone. I would be fine with it because if there is one thing I know it's that I don't want to be like my mom and dad or my Grandma and Grandpa. All they did was focus on what each was doing and how they look under the guise of "I just want you to be healthy."

Just this weekend my mom was giving my dad a hard time in front of everyone at a hockey game because the guy (my dad) wanted a Jr. sized Cuban sandwich and a little bit of fries. It was ridiculous!

What does this have to do with alcohol? I used to numb my feelings about how inadequate I felt on the outside because FAT it's constantly an issue in society and in my home.

Okay rant over. Tired of it.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Buy your own skittles.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HA! I'm going to tomorrow!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband had a really hard time when I gained weight, I am slowly losing it now. I know how you feel!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Get a nice big bag of them
Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I grew up in a house where parents (and grandparents) found fault with one another. I hated it and I won't tolerate anything like that in my house, and fortunately it has never been a problem. I cringe when you talk about your spouse giving you a list of what you should look like and what you should do. That would be a deal-breaker for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I had a hair dresser that I used to go to before I got sober, and continued to go to after I got sober for years...one time I remember telling her I had gained some weight since I got sober, not much, but it bothered me. Her reply still meaks me smile to this day..she said "You look so much better now, you look alive!!! Healthy and alive, there is life in your face and eyes, before there was "nothing"..she said you look beautiful..and alive!"

That is what I focus on, I absolutly do look alive, healthy and...yes, I am going to say it...good!!!! Not perfect...but I feel good in my own skin. That is attractive to everyone, people know when you feel good about yourself and it is a good look.

Please don't let anyone steal your joy or self esteem. If you know you look good, forget them, I don't care who it is. For some weird reason, some people just don't like to see us happy...but usually, it is them who is unhappy.

Life is to short NOT to eat Skittles now and then...damn it!!! Eat some for me too, and I will eat a few M&Ms for you!!!

Cathy
Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1undone, I agree with Anna, that list would have been a dealbreaker. I think it's borderline abusive. Really not cool of him.

And yeah, I think you should buy a huge bag of skittles, sit around in your frumpiest, most comfortable jammies and smile sweetly at him as you eat each one.

Grrrrrr.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

seriously 1undone...like Anna I had that kind of stuff all my life...and I agree with Surly - I think it's more about the person saying it than it is about you.

Enjoy your skittles

D
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are right where you are supposed to be undone. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

God bless.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right now you are trying to save your ass. Worry about how it looks when the time comes.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Even if you fulfilled everything on the list I bet he would find fault with it. Vote #3 for deal breaker!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some of these replies had me laughing! It's been 4 years since THE LIST! I think it's his problem, mine is letting go of the resentment. Knowing him he hardly would remember it or would act as though he doesn't. All I know is if I ever see another one he will be getting a lawyer. Oh and me as well.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up some tropical flavored goodness!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
Some of these replies had me laughing! It's been 4 years since THE LIST! I think it's his problem, mine is letting go of the resentment. Knowing him he hardly would remember it or would act as though he doesn't. All I know is if I ever see another one he will be getting a lawyer. Oh and me as well.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up some tropical flavored goodness!
You beat me to it....
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
1undone, I agree with Anna, that list would have been a dealbreaker. I think it's borderline abusive. Really not cool of him.

And yeah, I think you should buy a huge bag of skittles, sit around in your frumpiest, most comfortable jammies and smile sweetly at him as you eat each one.

Grrrrrr.
I was totally thinking the EXACT same thing!!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've spent a lot of time over the past two years talking about this kind of thing with someone I care about- I won't (indeed, can't) comment on the husband thing because I've run myself ragged discussing what is and isn't abusive, manipulative, supportive etc etc.

BUT I CAN AND WILL SAY THIS:
If you're on a successful road to recovery that is a HUGE deal! Give yourself credit for that!

The sugar thing takes me for a ride too-- I do skittles sometimes...and any variety of things. I still sit up nights watching movies or reading, sipping vast quantities of Arnold Palmers and eating junk (red hots are terrific, and during Valentine's season you can get a big bag for a low price). But I'm not drinking, and that's what matters.

I think the crucial thing is to move ourselves in an overall-healthier direction (I'm NOW, after nearly six months, slowly starting to lower the sugar intake). Exercise more, do the reading, prayer and stepwork necessary to grow spiritually, and eat healthy things through the day.

Then, if I may be so bold, eat whatever you damn well feel like so long as you don't take a drink. And Whiskey Tango Foxtrot to ANYONE who tells give you a lick of grief for eating sugar.

Kick alcohol now, and other non-drug vices later.

Dave
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Totally agree w/ Anna.

My mom is like that with my dad.. always giving him a hard time about what he eats, what his weight is.. his self esteem is in the toilet and has been for years. I'm pretty sure I'd kick my husband in the junk if he ever thought what I chose to eat was any of his business. (ok, I'm not violent, but.. ), much less how I looked or what else I did with myself!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I think I was married to that guy. Ugh.

Screw him.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Skittles

Originally Posted by SoberDawg View Post
Right now you are trying to save your ass. Worry about how it looks when the time comes.
LOL

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"Right now you are trying to save your ass. Worry about how it looks when the time comes."

^^

Think I may use this if the need arises! LMAO!