Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Not sure if an alcoholic..i haven't been drinking that long.t long

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im drunk right now..the registration was hard.. I drink vodka and juice. Sometimes rum and coke. Sometimes beer or wine. I feel really stuck in my life. It's been a bad year. I ended a relationship that was very messy..I still feelhurt about it. My mother developed colon cancer..I try to be there for her but I feel like a bad son..I was unemployed for 6 months so i started drinking to kill the time. Ive had a job inhealt care since August but I'm in jeapordy of losing it because I'm always late because I'm always hungover every day. I feel stuck in my life..I'm going nowhere..lost friends..I feel only my family might help me but I say everything is ok because my mother is going through chemo and I don't want to burden her. Everything feels so bad but all I can think of is drinking after work. I didn't know where to turn..I feel so depressed...I've only been drinking everyday since around june so I don't think I've been a drunk for long enough to feel so bad...i could probably quit but i dont know how..my body hurts sometimes..I feel really alone and sad.Sometimes suicidal although I don't think I'd have the courage to do it...please advice. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found that "poor me" never worked, you might have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and do the right thing, that would be stop drinking of course. sorry, I'm not good at sugarcoating or hugs. The other thing I've noticed is people who are depressed have a hard time seeing past the depression and that it does get a lot better, so hang in there, it will get better if you get off the booze, I promise, see a Dr. if needed.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear about everything that's going on in your life. Your drinking habits sound very similar to mine. I feel stuck in a rut, extremely lonely and depressed. I looked forward to the weekends because I could just drink the whole time. It was great to pass the time. Vodka and juice, Jack Daniels, beer, wine... it didn't matter.

I found this forum about a week ago. Once again, I was drunk and missing out on life because I was consumed with drinking. I began reading this forum, and listening to the stories of people. This forum really seemed to bring the support I needed, even as a lurker. I didn't want to bother my family with my problem, they have enough to worry about. But it was beneficial for me to read about others going through what I am, and seeing that they were successful.

I'm 4 days sober, while not a huge thing in the long run, it's been a good step for me. I know life seems really hard, but just think about what drinking is actually doing for you. One of the questions that really got to me is "what do I get from drinking? What are the positives?" There really weren't any for me.

Sorry, I'm not the best at writing these great supportive paragraphs like others on here. Just your story really struck home with me, because it was extremely similar to mine and how I was feeling. You're not alone.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bdubbnm83

The first thing, for all of us, is to get sober.

I'd do is a see a Dr.
Detox can be problematic for some of us.

The second thing is to stay sober. Support really helps me - you'll find a lot of it here - there's also a lot of real world support too...

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I also recommend you visit our Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

good to have you with us - hope to see you around some more

D
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mnguy83 View Post
Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear about everything that's going on in your life. Your drinking habits sound very similar to mine. I feel stuck in a rut, extremely lonely and depressed. I looked forward to the weekends because I could just drink the whole time. It was great to pass the time. Vodka and juice, Jack Daniels, beer, wine... it didn't matter.

I found this forum about a week ago. Once again, I was drunk and missing out on life because I was consumed with drinking. I began reading this forum, and listening to the stories of people. This forum really seemed to bring the support I needed, even as a lurker. I didn't want to bother my family with my problem, they have enough to worry about. But it was beneficial for me to read about others going through what I am, and seeing that they were successful.

I'm 4 days sober, while not a huge thing in the long run, it's been a good step for me. I know life seems really hard, but just think about what drinking is actually doing for you. One of the questions that really got to me is "what do I get from drinking? What are the positives?" There really weren't any for me.

Sorry, I'm not the best at writing these great supportive paragraphs like others on here. Just your story really struck home with me, because it was extremely similar to mine and how I was feeling. You're not alone.

Welcome mnguy...That's a great first post...Hope to see more. Congrats on four days. Yeah...His story rang a bell for me too....Same deal. The first thing you have to do is stop drinking. I'd recommend seeing a doctor and being honest with them. Don't play around with detoxing...People die doing that. Then you have to clear up a bit and figure out some kind of plan to make it work for you. Seems there are a lot of different ways to do it here. Do some reading here...ASK QUESTIONS....Don't be afraid to ask for help. This is your life you are talking about. It doesn't get much more important than that. Good luck to you.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too mnguy

D
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

to SR bdubbmn and mnguy

BDubb-- You may or may not be an alcoholic but if you are in risk of losing your job that definitely qualifies as a drinking problem.
I think you should give sobriety a chance until you can figure things out better. Drinking everyday is impairing your ability to do that. I am using Sr to get sober myself. By coming here every day and posting and reading instead of drinking the urge to drink disappears. It wouldn't hurt for you to give sobriety a chance.
Good luck.
mnguy-- I think you said things quite well and your suggestion of writing a list of what is good about drinking is insightful. It is also good to write a list of all the bad that came from your drinking and put them side by side and see what conclusion you come to. When I did this I came to the obvious conclusion that I am better off not to drink.
Good luck to both of you.