Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

January 10 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

January 10 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

We come to Al-Anon in order to share “experience, strength and hope with each other.” Most of us, at first, come to “get” – not to give or share. What we want to “get” is sobriety for the alcoholic. We soon learn that this is beyond us. We are there to find serenity for ourselves, through giving and sharing.

Sometimes people who come to Al-Anon, desperate and helpless, partake of the healing interchange of the group, and then, after the alcoholics have found sobriety, feel they don’t need Al-Anon any longer. Once over their own hurdle, they forget their obligation to help others.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Living with an alcoholic does not mean only a drinking alcoholic; it can also mean living with a person who is remaking his life so as to live without alcohol. If at any time we needed Al-Anon, the need does not vanish when sobriety comes into the picture.

It is by continuing to give of ourselves that we continue to receive. In helping others, we continue to enrich our own lives.

“’Withhold not the good from them to whom it is due when it is within the power of thy hand to do it,’ says the bible. I pray that I may not be tempted, by indifference or selfishness, to withhold from others the help I have received.”