Notices

What to do Sober

Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do Sober

I live in Milwaukee, WI, the drinking capital of the US. There's a bar on almost every other corner, and liquor stores everywhere I turn and I'm wondering what to do in this city that doesn't revolve around alcohol. Please help.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Also the motorcycle capital of the US...ever thought of getting a bike, building one, or otherwise tinkering with them?

Certainly I'm biased, because I'm mechanically inclined. But my point is even in a city awash with beer, you can lock on to other things that your environment has to offer. You must change the way you interact with the city, rather than letting it change you.

I love Wisconsin, BTW...and for the food as much as anything!

Do you have any hobbies or passions in your life to which you can re-dedicate yourself?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I live in a small resort town, so you'd think there would be lots of things to do here but most of them involve the outdoors and there's not much you can do outside at night, so drinking is the nighttime recreation around here. I decided if I was going to get sober in a place like this, I had to fill my time, so I started back to school, do volunteer work, and exercise during the day while my family is at school/work. In the evenings I find it's good to have something to keep my head and my hands busy so I'm learning how to quilt, I read a lot, and I bake. That's just me and the kind of stuff I find entertaining and a good distraction. What do you like to do in your spare time? Hobbies, passions, things you'd like to try that you haven't yet?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in Australia - sadly we're one of the world's leaders in drinking and in drug taking.

It doesn't mean a thing to me anymore because I've chosen to live my life this way.

I had to make a lot of changes in my lfie sure, but I doubt anyone would be here if they felt they lost anything by being sober

I still have fun, I still have friends - I just don't drink/drug anymore.

Here's a list of suggestions for things to do - some of these may whet your appetite
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
D
Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ah yes Milwaukee.

Where my drinking started at age 12, lol

Yep, have loved Harley's all my life. Graduated high school with one of the grand daughters.

Now as to what to do in Milwaukee sober.

You have not said how long you have been abstinent, or if you are using any 'program' to help.

I can suggest, whether you want to use the AA program or not, the meetings are a really great place to meet other sober folks. I started to learn how to do 'things' sober in a group of other sober folks. whether it was a bbq at someone's home, a picnic, a weekend camp out, a group going ice skating, and then making hot chocolate with marshmellows over a fire and smores,

Many meetings have flyers on their literature rack of upcoming events. ie dances, bbqs, day trips, etc

I don't know your age, but check out the bulletin boards at both UWM and Marquette, to find meetings of groups of folks that are interested in the same things you are.

I won't deny that yes, there are just about a bar or liquor store on every corner, even in residential areas. Milwaukee is an old German and Polish town, which is probably why there were so many brewerys, lol

There are many towns and cities just as bad. There are lots of sober things to do, you have to look with new eyes.

When I surrounded myself with friends that drank like me, I thought everyone was that way. When I found recovery and and started to get new sober friends I started to realize that there are a lot more people 'out there' that do not drink than those that do.

Please keep posting and let us know how we are doing because we do care so very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

Take a look and see what's between the bars and liquor stores. You may find something else to do. There are other things between the bars and liquor stores. We just have to look closer to see it, because our focus is on the.......well, you got it bars and liquor stores.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love the thread. Thinking of the same thing myself. Grand Rapids has a lot of activities, but even the more innocent ones are often touched by alcohol. My first weekend sober is coming and I guess I'm just gonna be really, really lazy to get thru it.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

one thing that isn't on the other thread, and this will eat up a lot of time.

Learn a new language, there are plenty of free resources online. Then plan the best vacation ever to a country that speaks it, all that money that used to be spent on booze, we can all afford a good vacation this year! Plus, it might help your career.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Make a list of things you like (alcohol obviously NOT being one of them, lol).

Ex. photography, dogs, etc.

Learn more about said things. Find out about community involvement.

Get a library card. Plus public libraries usually have fliers posted about community events.

Hmm...

Do you drive?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is plenty to do in this life sans alcohol. But you won't see it until you look. And, you have to get past the obsession. So, all I can say is that you have to have faith, blind faith if you aren't doing any meetings, that you can have plenty of fun and do lots of meaningful and awesome stuff.

I go to some resort towns in the western US every winter to go skiing... lots of drinking opportunities for sure.... but I don't even notice them much at all anymore... besides I am so tired from skiing that gnarly terrain that I am happy with a cup of hot tea, some music and bed...

It's all good.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol and drugs will always be around
even as sadly as it may sound, even after
it takes another life with addiction.

It doesnt care who or what it destroyes
in it path because its always on a mission
to suck up as many victims as it can.

However, we can arm oursleves with knowledge
and tools to ward off those demons.

We can also be happy and joyful with a wonderful
life with rewards promised to us in our recovery.

Rewards and gifts to enjoy from as high as the
stars in the sky to the tiniest little seed that will
produce a beautiful bloom in the Spring.

My spouse and I experienced Sturgis last yr
for the first time, and what an awesome sight
to see and enjoy. We saw sooooo many bikes
traveling up and down the hills of the Dakotas
and visited the Harley shops. Sure we knew
where all the booze was, but that wasnt what
our trip was about. We wanted to experience
seeing many bikes and visiting Mt. Rushmore.

I saw it once before but this was my first time
to enjoy it on the back of a bike. All I can say
is, UNBELIEVABLE..! So beautiful to see the
world with clearer vision and a sober heart and
mind.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have to say the longer I don't drink the more other activities are filling my life and the more I don't think everything revolves around drinking. Maybe as an alcoholic we just "see" it everywhere.

But I'm on a diet now and all I think is everywhere people are obsessed with food (because I'm hungry).

Hang in there - you're life will fill up with things other than alcohol but you have to let them in. What are you interested in? Let that fill it.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober for sixteen days and have found that I enjoy doing things I could not focus on when I was drinking. I am finding pleasure in simple things like reading, movies, herbal tea (i know it sounds gay but comforting) and tackling one task each day, that would have seemed insurmountable when all I could think about in my spare time was where will I go for my next drink.