Notices

Am i grieving?..

Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am i grieving?..

Hi all, i am on day 14, and need some help/advice.
I only got to day 7 previously,( 2 years ago) so this is new to me, i am sleeping well, eating well, always have ate well but recently shed a stone, and am on a non dairy diet.
I am feeling really down, and fed up today, like i have achieved nothing, could i be grieving for my buddy" POISON"?
You all know the list: am i missing;
bloodshot eyes.
empty purse.
feeling like a zombie, while still functioning at work, etc.

Hurting my family.
being furtive and secretive.
lying. the list goes on, will it get better, and when.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You're grieving the loss of your buddy. I'm going through the same thing (Day 10 for me). Just before I got sober, the same thought kept going through my head: "If I don't have booze, what do I have?" Now I see how ridiculous that thinking was because I have SO much ... I just never saw it through my alcoholic haze. But I'm still in that early stage of having a hard time envisioning my life without alcohol.

Just remember, a REAL friend isn't destructive and cruel, and a real friend doesn't destroy your life and take away everything that matters to you. And a real friend doesn't try to kill you. That's what I tell myself every day when I'm missing that "buddy." I don't need friends like that.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You're grieving the loss of your buddy. I'm going through the same thing (Day 10 for me). Just before I got sober, the same thought kept going through my head: "If I don't have booze, what do I have?" Now I see how ridiculous that thinking was because I have SO much ... I just never saw it through my alcoholic haze. But I'm still in that early stage of having a hard time envisioning my life without alcohol.

Just remember, a REAL friend isn't destructive and cruel, and a real friend doesn't destroy your life and take away everything that matters to you. And a real friend doesn't try to kill you. That's what I tell myself every day when I'm missing that "buddy." I don't need friends like that.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Originally Posted by whitehorses View Post
You all know the list: am i missing;
bloodshot eyes.
empty purse.
feeling like a zombie, while still functioning at work, etc.

Hurting my family.
being furtive and secretive.
lying. the list goes on, will it get better, and when.
You may have answered your own question. All the "stuff" that you're "missing" is great stuff. Although we can't turn wrong into right, we CAN take pride in a new beginning and a new way of doing things.

Chin up! You deserve it!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Oops, sorry for the double post.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i wrote a dear john letter to my drug of choice and alcohol. it helped. and yes, i was grieving. my whole life centered around my relationship with these substances.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome back,

I hear ya , I let myself miss the thing that tried to kill me also sometimes.

Cunning , baffling , and powerful it is . But your stronger than it, cause you came here and talked. Keep going forward it will get better and the "buddy" you will learn to kick him out of the house for good.

Good love, Inda
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is why recovery/sobriety is so important. We can't step back and figure out what's wrong with us so long as we're 'treating ourselves' with alcohol. It's a terrible cycle - drinking because you're unhappy and being unhappy because you drink. It's no way to live.

Congrats on day 14! I'm on day 12.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Probably - I wrote a letter to alcohol as well. My "best friend" she's a manipulative, destructive, bad friend. But I still grieved the loss. Now I've packed up all her stuff and sent her on her way. I have better friends now and there's a lot more space in my life with it gone.