Little Book

Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Little Book

I'm intrigued by RR, and over the weekend ordered the "Little Book" from amazon. However, I've read in another thread on AA vs. RR that the RR program no longer uses this book.

I know that I need to work the other RR text into my reading list at some point, but will I be doing myself a disservice if I read the Little Book too?

Terminally Unique, maybe you can provide some advice?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by WantToHeal View Post
I'm intrigued by RR, and over the weekend ordered the "Little Book" from amazon. However, I've read in another thread on AA vs. RR that the RR program no longer uses this book.
Do not rely solely on the advice in The Small Book. Although many people did quit with TSB, it contains quite a bit of unnecessary "pop psychology," which RR originally tried but later discarded. The author, Jack Trimpey, has retracted all but a few small sections of The Small Book, acknowledging his mistakes, but he doesn't own the book, so it is still sold. Instead, get Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction which is the replacement for The Small Book, and which explains AVRT in detail.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I knew you'd come through! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
…but he doesn't own the book…
Out interest, how come he doesn't own it? Since he is the author doesn't he retain all rights to the copy?

WantToHeal, if you watch one of the three videos of Jack Trimpey on YouTube (I cannot link directly to it, I don't think) he mentions how RR used to use cognitive psychology. He says something along the lines of: RR used to use cognitive psychology which breeds self-accepting drunks and junkies—and they're the worst kind of all.

If you hear Jack talking in later years he refers to the Small Book as the albatross around his neck.

If you Google (include quotation marks)…

site:blogtalkradio.com "Jack Trimpey on Rational Recovery"
…you will find a radio interview with Jack in which he talks to someone who 'recovered' using the Small Book. You will see quite clearly in his dialogue with the caller why he does not recommend you use the Small Book. As TU mentioned, RR:TNC has superseded this.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent...thank you! I have ordered a copy of "Rational Recovery" (it's coming today), and will make that a priority over TSB in my reading list.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
Out interest, how come he doesn't own it? Since he is the author doesn't he retain all rights to the copy?
The publisher, Delacorte Press, has the final say on that, and as long as people keep buying TSB, they will keep selling it.

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey
Do not rely on the advice in The Small Book, as we no longer recommended it for people with serious addictions. I am the author of both books and can assure you that The Small Book, although well-written and interesting, falls far short in comparison to the later and better book, Rational Recovery.