Notices

How to stop beating ourselves up

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to stop beating ourselves up

Do any of you just nag at yourself all the time about all the drinking regrets in life? Second day sobering up now and all I can think about is regretting drinking all those years. The worst thing about time is, it's one of the few things money can't buy.

All the missed opportunities of promotion at work. Also never used a single day of my company's PTO time legitimately - just using it to draw out a bender. All the time I could've spent with my family members. ......Especially my parents who are getting older now....... 1000s of opportunities to make new friends/connections when all I've done is hang out with the same 6-8 townie college drinking friends. Just overall wasting years by getting wasted!!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I needed all that garbage...Every bit of it....To get me where I am right now.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on day two also MW and yes, all of my regrets are in the forefront of my mind. BUT, I hope I can get over them and yet keep them with me to an extent so that I remember why I can't drink. I always think the next time will be different and it never is. We can't change the past but we can determine the future. I am sure I will still make mistakes in my life but they will never be even 1/4 as bad or big as the ones I made while drinking. Hang in there, you're deinitely not alone
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

It takes time doing the right things to overcome the regret of doing the wrong things. That is all that really works as far as I know.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
do any of you just nag at yourself all the time about all the drinking regrets in life? Second day sobering up now and all i can think about is regretting drinking all those years. The worst thing about time is, it's one of the few things money can't buy.

All the missed opportunities of promotion at work. Also never used a single day of my company's pto time legitimately - just using it to draw out a bender. All the time i could've spent with my family members. ......especially my parents who are getting older now....... 1000s of opportunities to make new friends/connections when all i've done is hang out with the same 6-8 townie college drinking friends. Just overall wasting years by getting wasted!!
yessssssssss!!!

And I hate the feeling...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to...until I fully accepted I can't change the past. Not one second.
The past got to me where I am today anyway, so it's not all bad...

The energy I used to put into wishing things had been different in far better put into making things what they should be today IMO

D
Old 01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think about that stuff sometimes, but you can't change the past and the future starts right now....so seize the day!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, the first few days I stopped I felt a lot of regret, angst, and remorse for drinking and the things I did while I was drinking. This went on for about a week and then the regret eased and resentment took it's place. Currently I'm on day 20 and about a couple days ago the resentment eased. This is my pattern, happens everytime I start and stop again....part of the emotional withdrawal I suppose. I know it's agonizing right now but I think it will get better if you fight through it, take it for what it's worth, and give it a little time.