Notices

Detoxing Again

Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing Again

I'm xeroxing from alcohol now. I've done this over and over and each time it gets a little worse. Stuffy head, sweating, panic attacks, dizzy, heart racing, etc. Everytime I relapse it takes several days of abstinence before I can drive because of the dizziness. I used to be able to drink and in 8 hour or so, I'd be fine. I've been drinking daily for about 15 years and I drink at least a half gallon of vodka every day or 5-6 liters of wine. I'm trying to quit for good, any suggestions. Oh and I have diabetes and high blood pressure and numbness in my hands and fingers alot.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a lot of booze to drink daily Kpit.
You should see your doc and be honest about how much you're drinking, they can help you detox.
If it's really bad tonight get to the hospital.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do see a Dr kpit - it's especially important if you have other health issues.

D
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Definately get to a doc. This site is great support. There are many avenues of recovery that you can read up on here as well. For me AA works wonders. Whichever route you take, it requires lots of hard work. It is worth it. I promise.

God bless.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I seem to be ok for now. I'm using Ativan and I am comfortable but unable to go to sleep. All of the symptoms that were going on earlier today seem to be gone for the moment. It's now exactly 24 hours since my last drink. My wd started about 4 hours after my last drink and raged all day until the Ativan kicked in that I took about an hour ago. I know it's not over yet because it takes me a long time to detox, so when it starts back up again, I'll take another Ativan. I just hope this will be my last time going through this. I'm tired of this.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I made it through the night! Now to face today without alcohol. That's my challenge today so far!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree, the withdrawals get worse every single time. I remember getting completely wasted every single day for months and then having the mildest withdrawals that felt like a relatively bad hangover. Now, I can go on a bender that lasts less than a week and the withdrawal symtoms are 50 times worse. You know it's bad when our hangovers get so bad you can't even call them hangovers anymore.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just remember how hard, uncomfortable and scary it felt while you detoxed, and getting through the day without alcohol might be just a little easier. good luck
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The withdrawals and detox got worse and worse for me each time I tried to stop too. And the hangovers are horrible! It doesn't have to be that way anymore!

Hang in there and God bless.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was where you are yesterday and went to the ER. Everyone was so nice and non-judgemental. They gave me something to help with the withdrawal and without that I wouldn't have got any sleep last night. Please take care of yourself and I hope you feel better very soon
Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kpit50 View Post
Now to face today without alcohol. That's my challenge today so far!
That was a challenge, Kpit, that I always fell short of over any considerable length of time. I personally see hundreds of people every year that fall short of that challenge and go back to drinking. And I see a handful of people every year that are so sick of repeating that cycle, that they desperately take the same actions I took to recover.

The 12 Steps of AA ended that cycle for me and transformed my life. I didn't like AA, didn't agree with AA, but I was desperate to not drink again. I found a sponsor who talked about a spiritual awakening as being the only hope for a chronic alkie like me. He took me through the directions for the 12 Steps and everything in my life changed.

Day 1 of not drinking is not too soon to start that process.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback! It really helps! Morning is going well so far. I'm still dizzy, but anxiety has not kicked in yet, and I hope it doesn't. Day 2 is better than day 1, and I pray it stays this way. I welcome any and all suggestions, comments, etc.
I'll post again after a while to update how my day is going at that point.
Thanks to all.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kpit50, be careful with your detoxing, hopefully you have a friend or family with you in case things get bad. Drinking lots of fluids, try to eat and get to the ER if need be. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Been there...

I have gone through about 3 or 4 really bad withdrawals. One had me in the ER. Although, it wasn't until the last one that I actually realized what was happening. The withdrawals became progressively worse, which is what prompted me to do a little research on my symptoms. I then realized that I was without a doubt a full-blown alcoholic. I spent 35 days in rehab this year and the old-timer drunks there seemed to have the worst withdrawals, so things dont get easier by becoming more tolerant to booze. Anyway, in rehab, they stressed nutrition for withdrawals. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Hang in there!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Withdrawal got the best of me. I stopped by the local pharmacy a while ago on my way home to refill my Rx for my hydroxyzine, but they were closed. The anxiety and dizziness took over. I had to drive 90 miles to get back here tonight, and I was in agony the entire way. I bought a small bottle of high alcohol wine to stop this. Tomorrow I'm going to my dr and get whatever he can give me so that I can make it through this wd because I really want out of this. I am taking care of my daddy who has cancer, and I had to be here tonight because my Mamma has to take my little sister to school and then she goes to work. I'm 38 almost 39 years old and want this to end.
My panic has just gone away and I only had about 5 oz of the stuff. I'm going to bed now hopefully to sleep and make it through the night in peace and get up tomorrow and get the meds I need to be successful in this detox. Rehab would be best but right now it's out of the question. I have to take care of Daddy, and while he doesn't care if I drink, I do. I want our final time together to be something I can remember. I'll post again tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the support.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been practically begging for support. Why do other people get more support than I do?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All i want are some words from others.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You said in your post that you were going to go to bed! May be a good idea at this point?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds like going to the Dr is the best choice, Kpit. Withdrawals are tough and they can kill you, so I don't blame you for drinking tonight but only if it's your last time, although I do think a stop at urgent care would've been wiser than a stop at the liquor store. Let us know how stuff goes with the doctor tomorrow, okay?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Kpit50...I'm glad you have decided to change your life and stay off the booze.
Hopefully, tomorrow you can get to the doctor and seek the right help to make your detox successful.
I found words from others comforting, as well. But I also realized that the path I was now following was mine and mine alone. I had to pull strength from my own soul to move minute to minute. I had to find that inner peace within myself that made me feel safe and want to remain on my journey. Take it one day at a time. Literally.
I quit before finding this site...but when I found it, I had a new addiction. I spent hours reading, searching and 'listening' to other stories and how I could relate to them. Especially when I couldn't sleep. Which wasn't a long time. I had trouble the first few nights then *wham* I was just about hibernating...waking up with the sun feeling refreshed. It will all change for you after a few days. Once you get over the initial 'bad stuff'. May I suggest you stay here and read...there are some great heart warming survival stories of folks quitting and staying quit. All kinds of ideas amd suggestions for a successful quit. Good Luck to you. Wishing you peace and strength.